Super moist and rich Double Chocolate Muffins! The perfect way to start your day!
These muffins are not too sweet and are loaded with tons of chocolate. I added sour cream to make the muffins super soft and moist. You can always substitute plain greek yogurt as well. I also added in hot coffee to amplify the chocolate flavor of these muffins.
I like to bake the muffins in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes then drop it down to 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes. This provides a taller and more domed muffin.
All you need for this recipe is 3 bowls and a whisk. No stand mixer required.
They are wonderful for breakfast or as a dessert. Perfect to go alongside your morning cup of coffee.
Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup hot coffee
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a standard size muffin pan or line with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, sour cream or greek yogurt, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs.
- In a small bowl whisk together hot coffee and cocoa powder to make a smooth paste. Allow to cool for 5 mins.
- Slowly add the coffee and cocoa mixture to the wet ingredients and combine.
- Next add the wet ingredients and the chocolate chips to the dry ingredients. Fold with a rubber spatula to combine. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tins.
- Bake for 10 minutes then lower the oven to 350 and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the pan then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.