Healthier Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread. Super soft, moist and loaded with chocolate!
Thank you Calorie Control Council for sponsoring this post. The opinions and text are all mine.
I’ve got the perfect use for all of the zucchini in your garden: Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread!
This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is not too sweet, loaded with chocolate, soft on the inside and super moist. It’s the perfect excuse for eating your dessert for breakfast!
I gave the zucchini bread an extra health kick by using greek yogurt instead of oil, less sugar and flax seed for extra fiber! The shredded zucchini and greek yogurt make the bread extra soft and moist.
This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is loaded with tons of chocolate flavor. I used unsweetened cocoa powder AND semi-sweet chocolate chips. I added instant coffee granules to bring out the flavor of the chocolate.
It’s pretty hard to believe that there are vegetables in this bread!
For an extra boost of fiber I added in some ground flax seed. There are so many benefits of fiber:
• Lower blood cholesterol levels
Certain types of soluble fibers reduce the risk of heart disease by helping to lower blood cholesterol.
• Increased immune support
Research indicates that specific fermentable fibers may provide support for healthy immune function by increasing levels of beneficial bacteria and reducing levels of bad bacteria present in the GI tract.
This recipe comes together quickly. No mixer needed just two bowls and a spatula. I used my food processor to easily shred the zucchini.
- 1½ cups zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flax seed
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee granules or espresso powder
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- ½ cup chocolate chunks or semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, flax seed and instant coffee granules or espresso powder.
- In a medium bowl combine the brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and zucchini.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool complelety before slicing.
- Slice bread and serve!