Homemade Everything Bagels. A lot easier to make than you think and so much better than store-bought!
I have a huge weakness for Everything Bagels. They are my go to choice for breakfast. I am so excited to share this recipe with you guys on how to make these bagels at home!
These bagels are perfectly chewy with a golden brown exterior and are loaded with tons of seasoning!
I made my own everything seasoning to go on the bagels. If you are not a fan of the everything seasoning you can always bake them plain, or with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese + jalapeño.
Making your own bagels at home is not as daunting as it seems. Here is a breakdown of the process:
Step 1 ✓ Dissolve your yeast in warm water and add all of the ingredients to a stand mixer. Mix the dough for about 8 minutes.
Step 2 ✓ Form into a ball and rest for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is puffy.
Step 3 ✓ Divide the dough into 8 balls. Use your thumb to push a hole through the center of each ball.
Step 4 ✓ Boil the bagels for 1-2 minutes in a honey + water combo.
Step 5 ✓ Brush with egg wash then sprinkle with seasonings. Bake until golden brown and enjoy!
These bagels can be frozen up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat in the morning!
They are totally worth the effort. There is nothing like a homemade bagel for breakfast!
Homemade Everything Bagels
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active yeast
- 4 cups bread flour (I sometimes do a mix of whole wheat and bread flour)
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 quarts water
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 egg white + 1 tablespoon water, whisked together
Homemade Everything Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon onion flake
- 1 tablespoon garlic fllake
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine water and yeast in a small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is dissolved.
- In a stand mixer with the hook attachment combine flour, brown sugar and salt.
- On low slowly add the yeast mixture and increase the speed to medium and beat for 8 minutes. The dough will be stiff / dry (that is ok!)
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl, turning to coat all the sides in oil. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise for 1½ hours. The dough will look larger and puffy. (It will not quite double in size)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place a wire rack over a third baking sheet. Set aside.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Using your fingers poke a hole in the center of the dough about 1½ - 2 inches in diameter. Cover the bagels you are not working with with a damp towel.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Fill a large pot with water and whisk in the honey. Bring water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Drop bagels in, 2-3 at a time, making sure not to overcrowd. Cook the bagels for 1-2 minutes on each side. Using a slotted spoon place the bagels on the wire rack and brush the egg wash on each bagel, then sprinkle with the homemade everything seasoning.
- Place the bagels onto the prepared baking sheets and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow the bagels to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Homemade Everything Seasoning
- Combine all of the seasoning in a small bowl. Set aside.