Super Easy Slow Cooker Orange Chicken. So much better and healthier than takeout!
Take out dishes are some of my favorite recipes to make at home. This Orange Chicken is super easy to make and takes 10 minutes of prep time. The slow cooker does most of the work for you!
The chicken comes out juicy, tender and loaded with flavor. The sauce is made up of orange marmalade, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar.
This recipe is also healthier than takeout Orange Chicken. There is no deep frying in this recipe just a little oil to sauté the chicken.
To make this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken start by tossing cubed chicken pieces with cornstarch in a large ziplock bag. Pan fry until golden brown on both sides and add to the slow cooker. Combine the sauce ingredients and toss with the chicken. Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
For an extra kick serve with some Sriracha sauce or crushed red pepper flakes.
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- green onions for garnish, if desired
- orange slices for garnish, if desired
- Add chicken, cornstarch, salt and pepper to a large ziplock bag. Toss to coat the chicken.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Saute chicken until golden brown on both sides about 2 minutes on each side. (Note the chicken will not be fully cooked and that is ok)
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining tablespoon to the same skillet and sauté garlic and ginger for 1 minute. Add the garlic and ginger to the slow cooker.
- In a large measuring cup mix together all of the sauce ingredients and add to the slow cooker and stir to coat the chicken.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours. (Mine took 2 hours exactly)
- Serve with green onions and sesame seeds for serving, if desired.