Super Easy Teriyaki Beef Meatballs. Serve as an appetizer or add rice to make it a meal. Ready in less than 30 minutes!
I love making meatballs for dinner. They are super easy to make and come together in minutes. I’ve made my share of meatballs. Like my Thai Chicken Meatballs, Asian Style, Turkey meatballs even Vegetable Soup with Meatballs. Now I can add these juicy, tender Teriyaki Meatballs to the list.
The meatballs are pan-fried in a little bit of oil and then tossed with a homemade Teriyaki sauce. I used ground beef however, ground chicken, turkey or pork would also work great.
I initially tried to bake these meatballs but ended up with a dry meatball each time. No good. So I stuck to the pan fry method which cooked the meatballs fast and caramelized the outside perfectly.
These Teriyaki Beef Meatballs are smothered in the sweet and spicy homemade teriyaki sauce. Soy sauce, water, fresh ground ginger, garlic and brown sugar are added. It gets thickened up with a cornstarch slurry.
I really love making my own teriyaki sauce at home. It’s so much easier to control the sweetness and the salt level.
These meatballs are super easy to make. I like to make the sauce and let its simmer away while the meatballs are cooking.
Serve these meatballs with a side of white rice or by themselves as an appetizer. Garnish with fresh chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
There is not much binder in the meatballs just enough to hold them together. I added panko breadcrumbs and egg as a binder. I flavored the meatballs with fresh ginger, garlic and scallions.
This recipe makes 12 meatballs. It can easily be doubled to accommodate a large family or to bring to a party.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 whole egg
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon green onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- green onions for garnish, if desired
- sesame seeds for garnish, if desired
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ginger, mined
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Add ground beef, panko, egg, pepper, salt, onion, ginger and garlic cloves to a large mixing bowl. Mix with your hands or with a spoon until combined. Roll into 12 meatballs.
- Heat a skillet with oil. Add the meatballs and saute until fully cooked and browned on all sides, 8-10 minutes.
- Once meatballs are cooked add them to the teriyaki sauce. Coat the meatballs in the sauce and allow them to simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve the meatballs immediately with rice or by itself as an appetizer.
- Garnish with extra green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
- Add oil and garlic to a medium saucepan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add in soy sauce, water, brown sugar and ginger. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together the cornstarch and water until combined. Add this to the teryaki sauce.
- Cook sauce until thickened. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Keep on low heat until you are ready to toss with the meatballs.