15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta
This easy Creamy Avocado Pasta recipe is a simple — yet delicious — healthy meal the whole family will love. All you need is some staple pantry ingredients like spaghetti, olive oil, and parmesan cheese, along with fresh ingredients like avocado, basil, and lemon juice.
Love easy weeknight recipes? Then try my Creamy Mushroom Carbonara and my Chicken Pot Pie Pasta!
15-Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta
Every time I go to the grocery store, I leave with an avocado. More recently, I left with a whole bag. I love having avocado on toast for breakfast with a sprinkle of salt and pepper or on top of my sandwiches or salads. But with these leftover ripe avocados, I decided to make my 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta.
This is a super quick and healthy weeknight meal. Whole wheat spaghetti tossed in an avocado “cream” sauce. The avocado makes the pasta super creamy and thick. It’s hard to believe there is no milk or cream in this pasta! It starts with 3 fresh ripe avocados, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Everything gets pulsed in a food processor until thick and creamy. If you do not have a food processor, just mash up the avocado with a fork instead. It’ll be a less creamy, more rustic take on this Creamy Avocado Sauce, but it will still be delicious!
- Spaghetti: I like whole wheat long pasta for this dish because it’s nutty and hardy, but you can use any you like or have on hand.
- Avocados: The key to this dish is using ripe avocados. This ensures the sauce turns out creamy, smooth, and delicious.
- Fresh Basil: This pasta recipe is a great way to use up all that basil in your summer garden!
- Lemon: Freshly squeezed lemon juice brightens up this dish and cuts through the richness of the avocados.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: This adds some Italian flavor that works so beautifully with the basil and avocado.
- Parmesan Cheese: Adds nuttiness, salt, and a ton of flavor that seals the deal on this dish
Tips for Picking Ripe Avocados
- Pick a darker firm, but slightly tender, avocado. The darker they are, the riper they are. If the avocado gives, a little it’s ripe. (But don’t go squeezing all the avocados in the grocery store!)
- Speed up the ripening process place avocados in a brown paper bag on the counter at room temperature. Throw in a banana for even quicker results!
- Store uncut avocados in the fridge to keep them fresh!
How To Make Creamy Avocado Pasta
Boil your pasta until al dente, then rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Drizzle with oil to prevent it from sticking.
Next, puree the avocados, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a food processor until smooth. Stir halfway through to make sure it’s lump-free.
Then, place the pasta back in the pot it was cooked in, and toss with the avocado sauce. Garnish with more basil, a squeeze of lemon juice, more Parmesan, and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
What To Serve with Avocado Pasta
More Easy Pasta Recipes To Try
- Pasta with Garlic and Oil
- Zucchini “Pasta” with Tomato Sauce
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo
- One Pan Mexican Pasta
- 20 Minute Pasta Carbonara
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
Need more quick & easy recipes in your life? Subscribe to my weekly newsletter or follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for all the daily updates.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
15 Minute Creamy Avocado pasta
- 13.25 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 ripe avocados cut in half with the skin and seed removed
- 6 sprigs fresh basil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Boil pasta until al dente about 7 minutes.
- Add avocados, basil, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to a food processor.
- Pulse a couple of times and stir. Pulse again until thick and creamy.
- Drain the pasta and drizzle with a little bit of oil. Place back into the pan the pasta was cooked in. (Make sure the pan has cooled down or the pasta will stick to the pan.)
- Toss the avocado sauce with the cooked pasta and serve immediately.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese and basil if desired.