The BEST Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie. This giant cookie is firm around the edges and soft and gooey in the center. Ready in only 30 minutes!
I was first introduced to Cook’s Illustrated Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies by my Mom. We made the recipe together and I loved these cookies so much I had to have them in Skillet Cookie form.
Similar to my Skillet Brownie I mixed up the dough by hand (No stand mixer needed!) and cooked it directly in the cast iron pan!
The cookie turns out firm around the edges and gooey with melted chocolate in the center. The extra step of browning the butter makes these cookies AMAZING! You guys are going to LOVE this cookie!
This skillet cookie is perfect for sharing. Once cool cut into slices and serve. It’s wonderful served with a big scoop of ice cream and a glass of milk.
This big cookie can be made in under 30 minutes. It’s much easier to make than regular cookies because theres no rolling and multiple batches required. Just plop the dough in the pan (no need to grease either) and bake!
The melted butter adds extra chewiness and the extra step of browning adds a nice toffee flavor.
The brown sugar also adds tons of flavor to the cookie. You can use either dark or light brown sugar. Just make sure the sugar is soft and not dry and hardened. (This will make the cookie dry) I always make my own brown sugar to avoid this.
There’s just 30 minutes standing between you and this cookie!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup light or dark brown sugar (make sure the sugar is soft and not hard)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add 10 tablespoons of butter to a small saucepan. Heat over medium high heat and cook until butter is golden brown and bubbly. Takes about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to a large bowl. Cut into cubes.
- Add the melted butter to the cubed butter in the bowl and stir until melted.
- Stir in both sugars, eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda and cornstarch.
- Fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two parts until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread into a cast iron skillet. No need to grease the pan. (Cast iron pans should already be seasoned.)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Mine took exactly 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream if desired!
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated