These super soft chocolate chip Christmas cookies are a guaranteed hit! Made with M&M’s and white and semi-sweet chocolate chips, this really is the perfect Christmas cookie recipe.
M&M Chocolate Chip Christmas Cookies
Thanksgiving is almost here and Christmas is just around the corner! I can’t believe how quickly this year has come and gone — even as crazy as 2020 has been.
Now, I may be getting a little ahead of myself with Thanksgiving coming in a few days, but I just can’t help myself. I am getting so excited for Christmas because that means it’s time for my favorite holiday tradition — making Christmas cookies!
I’m ready to make another batch of these super simple and absolutely delicious chocolate chip cookies. Super soft and easy to bake, these Christmas cookies are made with vanilla pudding mix, festive M&Ms, and both white and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
The dough in this cookie recipe does require some chilling time to keep the cookie dough from spreading in the oven. It also helps to make a full-flavored, thicker cookie, so don’t skip this step. And when it comes to baking time, you do you! Personally, I like to slightly under bake the cookies for an extra soft center.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Christmas Cookies
- Make the cookie batter. Add butter and both sugars to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add in vanilla and egg, then mix until combined. Make sure to get the sides of the bowl throughout! Meanwhile add flour, pudding mix, and baking soda to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine while slowly adding in the dry ingredients to the wet in two parts. Finally, fold in the white and semi-sweet chocolate chips and M&M’s.
- Chill the dough. Roll the cookie dough into small balls and place them on a plate. Leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. Pro Tip: You must chill dough. If not the cookies will spread!
- Preheat the oven. When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the cookies. Place cookies on a baking pan in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remember, if you want crispier cookies, cook a few minutes more, and if you like a softer cookie (like me), cook a little less!
- Let cookies cool. Allow cookies to cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Save and store. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days. You can also freeze the pre-made dough or cookies for up to 3-4 months.
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Chip Christmas Cookies
- Measure carefully. Baking is all about patience and precision. Whip out those measuring cups and do it right. Also here is a great tutorial on the proper way to measure flour.
- Chill your dough. I know this is an extra step and takes time, but it really is worth it! Chilling the dough ensures that your cookie ingredients don’t separate or become lumpy when baking. Want the perfect bite every time? Chill the dough before baking!
- Pre-heat your oven. After putting so much care into making your chocolate chip cookie dough, please don’t put it in an oven before it’s at the proper temperature! Make sure you have at least 15 minutes of pre-heating time built in to your prep, depending on your oven.
- Don’t overload your oven. When you can, bake just one batch of cookies at a time on the center oven rack. This will yield the best results for your cookies.
- Store correctly. As pretty as cookies look when arranged on a beautiful holiday platter, if you’re not serving these chocolate chip cookies right away, store them in an airtight container or tin. If you’re worried about the cookies breaking, you can separate them with wax paper. If stored well, your cookies will be good for about a week!
Here are more delicious cookie recipes to try!
- Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Monster M & M Cookies
- Brown Butter Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Christmas Cookies
- ½ cup butter 1 stick, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup instant vanilla pudding dry (not prepared)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips I used a mix of white and semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup green and red M & M's
- *Note this recipe does require chilling*
- Add butter and both sugars to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add in vanilla and egg. Mix until combined. Make sure to scrap the sides of the bowl throughout.
- Meanwhile add flour, pudding mix and baking soda to a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet in two parts.
- Fold in chocolate chips and M & M's.
- Portion out 12 cookies and place them on a plate. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. Note: You must chill dough. If not the cookies will spread!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool for a couple of minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.