French Onion Grilled Cheese. All of the flavors of French Onion soup you love stuffed into a grilled cheese sandwich. Made with caramelized onions, Swiss cheese, and parsley.
French onion soup is one of my all time favorite soups. Its rich, full of flavor and loaded with sweet caramelized onions. I decided to marry my favorite soup with the ultimate comfort food: Grilled Cheese. Bread, cheese and caramelized onions were meant to be together. If you love French Onion Soup you will LOVE this grilled cheese.
This is an extremely simple recipe for french onion grilled cheese that anyone can make. There are only 4 ingredients needed and this sandwich takes less than 45 minutes to make.
The crispy bread and gooey center make this the ultimate comfort food.
I add just a sprinkle of parsley to give this sandwich some color. I used one whole onion for two sandwiches. You get caramelized onions in every bite.
This French Onion Grilled Cheese is so simple to make. Get all of the flavors of French Onion Soup you love in a quicker weeknight version.
The most important step in this recipe is caramelizing the onions. They need to cook for 30 minutes to develop that dark brown hue and sweet taste. Caramelized onions are good in anything soup, dip and now sandwiches.
Try not to stir your onions to much. Keep them in a thin layer and stir ever so often.
To assemble this French Onion Grilled Cheese place buttered pieces of bread (I used whole wheat) in a large skillet or griddle. Layer with Swiss cheese and caramelized onion. I used extra thin slices of Swiss that is why it calls for 6 slices on each sandwich. You can use less if you are using regular slices of Swiss cheese.
Serve this sandwich with a side of warm beef broth and enjoy.
If you like this recipe you’ll love my Warm French Onion Soup Dip!
French Onion Grilled Cheese
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter, softened, plus more for buttering bread
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices whole wheat or sourdough bread
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 12 slices Swiss cheese, sliced very thin (use less if using regular slices)
- warm beef stock for dipping, if desired
- Add butter and oil to a medium skillet.
- Add onions and cook over low-medium heat for 30 minutes. Try not to stir the onions too much. The onions should be a dark brown color.
- Add parsley to the caramelized onions and set aside.
- Butter each slice of bread. Place buttered side down on a large skillet or griddle.
- Add 3 extra thin slices of cheese on each side. (6 slices on each sandwich total).
- Place onions on one side of bread. When the cheese has melted put sandwiches together and take out of the pan.
- Cut in half and serve immediately with a side of hot beef broth if desired.