This Mushroom Shallot Garlic Quinoa recipe is an easy and healthy side dish that’s ready in less than 30 minutes! It’s a perfect accompaniment to family dinners, pot lucks, holiday meals, and meal-prep.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Side Dish
I can’t get enough of mushrooms. They’re earthy, full of flavor, and rich. And they’re the perfect vegetable to accompany this easy quinoa recipe.
Quinoa is a healthy grain that’s rich in fiber and protein, making it a great meat alternative. Plus, it’s just as easy to prepare as rice, but comes with a lot more health benefits. For example, one cup of quinoa has 8 grams of protein! Quinoa is a healthy alternative to brown rice or pasta.
This mushroom quinoa is full of flavor thanks to the white wine, chicken stock, and garlic.
This mushroom shallot garlic quinoa is a perfect light and healthy side dish for any occasion! I love making it ahead of a busy week because it goes well with nearly everything. It’s also an impressive, yet simple, dish to serve to family and friends!
To make this easy quinoa recipe at home, you’ll need a couple fresh ingredients and several pantry staples, including:
- Quinoa (traditional, red, or tricolor will all work)
- Chicken broth (low-sodium, if possible)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Mushrooms (baby portobello and shitake)
- White wine (like Pinot Grigio, but avoid overly sweet wines)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley (as an optional garnish)
How To Make This Quinoa Recipe
To make this quick side dish start by boiling the quinoa in water and chicken broth. In a separate pan sauté garlic and shallots. Add in mushrooms and sauté until tender. Add in a splash of wine and deglaze the pan. When quinoa is finished cooking toss with the mushroom mixture and serve. I like to garnish with parsley and serve with Parmesan cheese.
- Grilled Steak Kebabs
- The BEST Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Maple Salmon
- Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
- The BEST Broccoli Salad
Storage, Reheating, and Freezing Instructions
- Store leftover mushroom shallot garlic quinoa in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze this cooled quinoa side dish recipe in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
- Reheat from frozen or chilled in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through thoroughly.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I make this mushroom shallot quinoa vegetarian?
This meal can easily been made vegetarian by substituting vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Do I really need to rinse my quinoa before cooking it?
It is important to rinse off the quinoa before boiling. Quinoa can become bitter when it is not rinsed prior to cooking. Also consider toasting it in a little oil or butter before boiling it to optimize it’s nutty, earthy flavor.
- What are the best mushrooms to use in this quinoa recipe?
I used shitake mushrooms and baby portobellos, but you can use whichever mushrooms you prefer. I like to leave the mushrooms in pretty big slices, but you could dice them if you are feeding picky eaters or have an issue with their texture.
More Healthy Side Dish Recipes To Try
- Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Bake
- Mediterranean Quinoa
- Homemade Pea Salad
- Japanese Cucumber Salad
- Air Fryer Vegetables
Mushroom Shallot Garlic Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 shallot minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup baby portobello mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 cup shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- parsley for garnish if desired
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly and strain.
- Add quinoa, chicken broth and water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a large skillet.
- Add shallots and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in both mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.
- Pour in wine and deglaze the pan, 1-2 minutes.
- Combine cooked quinoa to the mushroom mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with parsley if desired.