An incredibly delicious One Pan Italian Chicken Recipe that can be made in 15 minutes or less! Perfect for weeknight dinners, the entire family will love digging into this easy dinner recipe. Serve alongside bread, a salad, or over pasta!
A simple dish can taste so good. Especially a one-pot dinner. Easy dinner. Easy clean-up. Just how I like it.
This Italian Chicken Recipe takes only 15 minutes to make from start to finish and is incredibly easy. Simply sauté chicken and garlic, stir in the crushed tomatoes and simmer. Sprinkle with basil, Parmesan cheese, and mozzarella. Place under the broiler until your cheese is melted. Done. How easy is that??
You don’t even have to make your own tomato sauce for this recipe. The sauce simmers with the chicken creating a thick flavorful tomato sauce. The crushed tomatoes turn into a thick creamy sauce/paste that is sweet and full of flavor. It is delicious!
What you’ll need for this recipe
- Chicken: I used skinless boneless chicken breast. One of the most important things about this dish is starting with a thinly sliced chicken breast. Starting with a thin slice of chicken shortens the cooking time and provides a tender chicken breast.
- Seasoning: Salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper flakes add a ton of flavor to this recipe. If you do not like spice, just omit the red pepper flakes.
- Garlic: Garlic is one of my favorite ingredients. Feel free to add extra! To save on time you can also add pre-minced garlic.
- Tomatoes: Canned crushed tomatoes are what I prefer for this recipe, however, canned diced tomatoes would be great in this Italian Chicken Recipe as well, just a little chunkier.
- Cheese: I used mini mozzarella because that is what I had on hand. You can always substitute pre-shredded mozzarella cheese to save some time slicing. I also added grated parmesan for an extra tangy cheese boost in flavor.
How do you make Italian Chicken?
- Cook the chicken: Start by adding olive oil to an oven-safe skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Saute chicken until fully cooked flipping halfway. Takes about 8 minutes.
- Mix in the sauce ingredients: Add in the sliced garlic and saute for a minute. Stir in crushed tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer. This takes about 1-2 minutes.
- Top with cheese: Take off the heat and top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Broil and serve! Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve this Italian Chicken Recipe immediately!
Tips for Success
- Make sure the chicken is thin: Ths ensures that the chicken will cook quickly and evenly. You can either slice the chicken thinly or pound it down.
- Other cheese: I used sliced mini mozzarella balls, but this Italian Chicken Recipe would also work with the buffalo mozzarella balls or shredded mozzarella.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat thoroughly in the oven or microwave.
What should I serve with Italian Chicken?
This Italian Chicken recipe goes wonderfully with fresh pasta, crusty bread for dipping, and a nice side salad! Here are some of my favorite side dishes to go with this recipe:
- Quick Focaccia Recipe
- Leftover Mashed Potato Gnocchi
- Zucchini Noodles
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Cucumber Avocado Salad
- Chopped Kale, Quinoa, and Avocado Salad
How long do you cook chicken on the stove?
This will depend on the size of the piece of chicken and how thick it is. I cook mine for 4 to 7 minutes per side in a prepared pan over moderate heat. Cooking time may be longer for larger pieces of chicken. If you have a meat thermometer it’s a great idea to check the temperature. The Internal temperature should be between 160 and 165°F (71 and 74°C).
How do I know when my chicken is done?
To check if the chicken breast is cooked all the way through, all you have to do is place your meat thermometer in the thickest section of the chicken. When the thermometer reaches 160 – 165°F (71-74°C), you know it’s done. If you don’t have a meat thermometer, the best way to check is to slice open the thickest part. If it’s still pink you need to cook it a little longer.
Here are more easy chicken recipes to try!
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- The BEST Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Chicken Shawarma
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Easy One Pan Bourbon Chicken
- Easy Thai Chicken Satay
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
One Pan Italian Chicken Skillet
A simple One Pan Italian Chicken Skillet that can be made in less than 15 minutes!
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 thinly sliced chicken breast Equal to 1 Pound
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 slices mini mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Add olive oil to an oven safe skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Saute chicken until fully cooked flipping halfway. Takes about 8 minutes.
- Add in sliced garlic and saute for a minute.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer. This takes about 1-2 minutes.
- Take off the heat and top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately!