Thick and Chewy Peanut Butter M & M Cookies sandwiched between Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream. A perfect make ahead summer treat!
There’s one thing better than cookies. Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches! Chewy cookies and cold creamy ice cream make the perfect summertime treat.
These M & M cookies are adapted from my Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies. Super thick, chewy and loaded with ton’s of M & M’s. I slightly under baked the cookies to get the soft, chewy center. Melt in your mouth on the inside and firm on the edges. Just how I like my cookies. Between the two cookies I sandwiched creamy vanilla ice cream.
I added brown sugar to the cookies for a chewier texture and more flour for a thicker cookie.
These cookies take less than 20 minutes to make start to finish. They do require some inactive time cooling before you start assembling the sandwiches. After I place the ice cream in between the cookies I let them freeze for at least 2 hours to harden up. They make a great make ahead dessert!
This recipe makes 6 nice sized ice cream sandwiches. I made the cookies bigger and flattened them out a bit to make the perfect sandwich cookie. I roll the dough into rounded tablespoons and flatten the cookies gently before placing them in the oven. This helps them spread and keeps them from being too thick.
Love these cookies? Here are a few of my other favorites:
- Peanut Butter Reese’s and Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chips Cookies
- Ultra Thick and Chewy Ginger Sugar Cookies
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
- ½ cup butter 1 stick, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 whole egg
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup M & M's
- 3 cups Blue Bunny Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in peanut butter and mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in egg and vanilla. Mix until combined and clump free.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter in two parts with the stand mixer on the lowest speed. Mix for a little less than a minute. Do not over mix.
- Fold in M & M's by hand.
- Portion dough into 12 cookies.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with a baking mat. Using your fingers gently flatten the cookies. This will help the cookies spread as they cook.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown and firm on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let set for 2 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To assemble the ice cream sandwiches place one cookie upside down and top with a large scoop of ice cream (about 1/2 cup). Using a knife spread the ice cream to the edges making sure to work quickly. Top the sandwich with another cookie and press down gently. Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper and place in the freezer. Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
- Freeze cookies for 2 hours to firm up and serve!