These thick and chewy Peanut Butter M&M Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are the ideal summer dessert! Two homemade peanut butter and chocolate cookies are filled with creamy vanilla ice cream. It’s a perfect make-ahead cold treat for any occasion!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Homemade Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches (Perfect for Summer!)
There’s only one thing better than homemade cookies … homemade ice cream cookie sandwiches! Chewy cookies and cold creamy ice cream make the perfect summertime treat.
These peanut butter M&M cookies are adapted from my Classic Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies. They’re super thick and loaded with tons of chocolate candies. I slightly under baked the cookies to get the soft, chewy center so they melt in your mouth on the inside and remain firm on the edges. (Just how I like my cookies!) Between the two cookies, I sandwiched creamy vanilla ice cream. I opted for store-bought for convenience’s sake, but feel free to make your own from scratch!
This cookie ice cream sandwich recipe makes six nice sized ice cream sandwiches (so 12 cookies total), and only require less than 20 minutes to make start to finish. They’re a great make-ahead dessert to grab and enjoy as you like!
You need classic baking ingredients to make these chewy peanut butter cookies with M&Ms, including unsalted butter (at room temperature), light brown sugar, granulated sugar, creamy peanut butter, an egg, pure vanilla extract, flour, salt, and baking soda. And then, of course, the colorful M&Ms.
Lastly, all you need to complete these ice cream sandwiches is the ice cream! I opted for store-bought vanilla ice cream for convenience’s sake, but feel free to make your own from scratch or use another flavor. Chocolate, peanut butter, or coffee would be delicious!
How To Make Chewy Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- First, make the cookies. Preheat your oven to 350, and prepare a baking sheet. Then, cream your butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add the peanut butter, and mix for a couple minutes until well-incorporated.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract, and mix until just combined.
- Then, carefully add the dry ingredients, mixing until just incorporated. It’s OK to see flour streaks.
- Lastly, fold in the M&Ms by hand, being careful not to break the candies.
- Bake them for 8-9 minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let set for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
How To Make Homemade Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
- About 5-10 minutes before assembling the cookie ice cream sandwiches, remove the ice cream from the freezer so it can soften a bit.
- To assemble the ice cream sandwiches place one cookie upside down and top with a large scoop of ice cream (about 1/2 cup). Using a knife spread the ice cream to the edges making sure to work quickly. Top the sandwich with another cookie and press down gently. Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper and place in the freezer. Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
- Freeze cookies for 2 hours to firm up, then serve and enjoy! Keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. If you can resist digging in right away, allow them to thaw a bit on the counter before digging in. (You and your dentist will thank me for this tip!)
Tips for Making the Best Peanut Butter M&M Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
- After placing the ice cream in between the cookies, let them freeze for at least 2 hours to harden up before serving.
- Make the cookies large and flat to create the perfect sandwich cookie. Roll the dough into rounded tablespoons, and flatten the cookies gently before placing them in the oven. This helps them spread, and keeps them from being too thick. (Aka, easily biteable when frozen!)
- Top the raw cookie dough with some chocolate candies to make them look pretty from the outside after they’ve baked!
- Take these homemade cookie ice cream sandwiches up a notch by rolling the assembled desserts ice cream side down with some toppings like crushed nuts, cookie pieces, crumbled M&Ms, or mini chocolate chips.
Looking for more ice cream recipes? Then try my Nutella Milkshake Recipe!
More Cookie Recipes To Try
- Peanut Butter Reese’s and Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chips Cookies
- Ultra Thick and Chewy Ginger Sugar Cookies
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in peanut butter and mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in egg and vanilla. Mix until combined and clump free.
- Add flour, salt and baking soda to the stand mixer on the lowest speed. Mix just until incorporated. Make sure not to overmix.
- Fold in M & M's by hand.
- Portion heaping tablespoon size cookies onto prepared baking sheet. Using your fingers gently flatten the cookies. This will help the cookies spread as they cook.
- Bake cookies for 8-9 minutes or until lightly golden brown and firm on the edges. Remove from the oven and let set for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. I always like to slightly under bake my cookies. They will continue to cook as they cool.
- About 5-10 minutes before assembling remove the ice cream from the freezer. To assemble the ice cream sandwiches place one cookie upside down and top with a large scoop of ice cream (about 1/2 cup). Using a knife spread the ice cream to the edges making sure to work quickly. Top the sandwich with another cookie and press down gently. Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper and place in the freezer. Repeat with the rest of the cookies.
- Freeze cookies for 2 hours to firm up and serve!