These S’mores Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies will curb your sweet tooth in any season! Real marshmallows sandwiched between two chewy peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies create this ooey-gooey delicious dessert. They only take 30 minutes and no campfire required!
Whether it’s freezing cold and snowing in the Northeast or 75 and sunny in the summer all I can think about are s’mores. I just can’t get enough of them. Gooey chocolate, sticky marshmallows, all sandwiched between a chewy peanut butter cookie. I mean, does it honestly get any better?!
Rather than the standard graham cracker, this recipe was built from my favorite Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe. I then added a few chocolate chips and sandwiched a marshmallow between the cookies and voila! An indoor s’more!
Butter: To keep your butter from turning into a puddle, simply heat it for 10 seconds, then flip the stick over and warm for another 4-5 seconds. You’ll have perfectly soft butter.
Sugar: Both granulated and brown sugar are necessary for this recipe. Dark brown sugar has a deeper flavor and blends well with the chocolate, but the light brown sugar will work well too if that is what you have.
Peanut Butter: Creamy peanut butter is your best option here!
Egg: The egg yolks add some richness to the cookie as well as help with binding and chewiness!
Vanilla: Everything baked tastes better with vanilla!
Flour: All you need is regular All-Purpose!
Salt: Don’t be afraid to add salt when baking! It NEEDS it!
Baking Soda: This gives a little rise to the cookie and helps them spread out a bit.
Chocolate Chips: Semi-Sweet is my favorite for this recipe, but any kind will do!
Marshmallows: Go for the LARGE ones you would typically use for a s’more.
How to make Peanut Butter S’mores Sandwich Cookies
- Cream butter and sugar together. This is a standard rule anyone in the kitchen should follow when baking. Simply let the two ingredients beat together for a few minutes until they are light in color.
- Add the peanut butter. Mix for a couple of minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix again until all clumps are gone, scraping down the sides of the bowl so the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients. Mix on the lowest speed for LESS than a minute. It is very important NOT to overmix on this step. Overmixing will result in a tough cookie.
- Add chocolate chips. Fold in the chocolate by hand. No need to use the mixer here.
- Get ready to bake! Portion the dough into 16 cookies and place on a lined baking sheet. I like to use my fingers and slightly flatten the dough. This will help the cookies spread.
- Bake and Enjoy! Bake the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and allow them to cool on the pan for 2 minutes and then on a wire pan for a couple more minutes. Keep the oven on. Flip over half of the cookies (should be about 8) and place 1 whole marshmallow on each cookie. Place in the oven and bake for 1-2 minutes or until marshmallow is soft and gooey. Take out of the oven and press the marshmallow down gently with your fingers. (I do this before placing the cookie on top so it doesn’t crumble). Top with another cookie and serve!
Can you reheat these cookies?
Yes! These cookies are best served warm right out of the oven. But you can always reheat them if you have leftovers. I recommend placing them in the microwave for a couple of seconds.
How do I make these cookies chewy?
I slightly under-baked the cookies to get the soft, chewy center. Melt in your mouth on the inside and firm on the edges. Just how I like my cookies.
Brown sugar is also used in the cookies to make them extra soft and chewy.
How do I get my cookies to spread out?
I like to roll the cookie dough into rounded tablespoons and place it on a nonstick baking mat and then flatten them a bit. It is important to flatten the cookies before placing them in the oven to help them spread. If you do not flatten the cookies you will end up with a very tall and thick cookie.
What if I don’t like peanut butter?
I love to use my peanut butter chocolate chip cookies because they are my favorite. You can easily substitute with your favorite cookie recipe if peanut butter isn’t your thing.
Love these cookies? Here are a few of my other favorites
- Peanut Butter Reese’s and Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chips Cookies
- Ultra Thick and Chewy Ginger Sugar Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (Soft & Chewy)
S'mores Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup butter 1 stick, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 whole egg
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 8 marshmallows left whole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add in peanut butter and mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in egg and vanilla. Mix until combined and clump free.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter in two parts with the stand mixer on the lowest speed. Mix for a little less than a minute. Do not over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips by hand.
- Portion dough into 16 cookies.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with a baking mat. Using your fingers gently flatten the cookies. This will help the cookies spread as they cook.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden brown and firm on the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let set for 2 minutes on the baking sheet. DO NOT TURN OFF OVEN.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool for 2-3 more minutes (until they are cool enough to handle).
- Flip over half of the cookies (should be about 8) and place 1 whole marshmallow on each cookie. Place in the oven and bake for 1-2 minutes or until the marshmallow is soft and gooey. Take out of the oven and press the marshmallow down gently with your fingers. (I do this before placing the cookie on top so it doesn't crumble).
- Top with another cookie and serve immediately. Cookies are best served hot. To reheat cookies just place in the microwave for a couple of seconds.