S’mores mousse layered with graham cracker crust, chocolate mousse and marshmallow whipped cream. A decadent and easy single serve dessert.
S’mores may be a summer dish but for me they are a year round treat. We recently starting using our wood fireplace and with each fire we make s’mores to end the night.
These S’more’s Mousse Cups are layered with a homemade graham cracker crust, a thick layer of chocolate mousse and a large dollop of marshmallow whipped cream. This dessert is light, airy and smooth. Not too sweet and super rich.
Dare I say these are even BETTER than s’mores?
Originally the mousse cups were going to be topped with large marshmallows and toasted under a broiler. They were also going to be made in ramekins not glasses which put a wrench in my plan. These glasses would not fair well under the broiler and with no cooking torch I was left scrambling to complete my S’mores Mousse.
I thankfully stumbled upon this super easy recipe for marshmallow whipped cream. No baking and no heat torch required. Perfect. I changed this recipe up a bit. More heavy cream, less sugar (which I substituted with regular sugar) and a touch of vanilla extract.
A quick and easy dessert that takes only 30 minutes to prepare. This S’mores mousse does need some time in the fridge to set and can easily be made ahead.
Chocolate mousse is not as intimidating as it seems. To make these S’mores mousse cups start by assembling your first layer, the graham cracker crust. This is a simple crust made of melted butter, graham cracker, cinnamon and brown sugar. I place about 2 tablespoons in each glass.
To make the chocolate mousse whisk egg yolks on the highest speed until they thicken. Meanwhile, heat 1/2 of the heavy cream in a saucepan. Add a splash of the warm milk to the egg mixture and stir gently. (We are shocking the eggs so they do not scramble). Next add the egg mixture with the rest of the milk into the sauce pan and cook until thick. Add in chocolate and stir until melted. Whip the remaining heavy cream and fold into the chocolate mixture. Divide chocolate mousse between glasses and refrigerate for 2-3 hours to set.
For our very last layer simply whisk heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add in vanilla extract, sugar, and mini marshmallows. Place on top of chocolate mousse and serve!
This recipe makes 3 if served in glasses or 4 if made in ramekins. Serve with sprinkles of chocolate shavings for garnish along with extra marshmallows.
If you love s’mores you have to try this recipe.
Everything you love about s’mores in a fun single serving without the mess. Perfect to enjoy year round.
S'mores Mousse with Marshmallow Whipped Cream
Graham Cracker Crust
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup graham crackers, crushed
- ½ tablespoon light brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (I used squares chocolate chips can be substituted)
Marshmallow whipped cream
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup marshmallows
Graham Cracker Crust
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until combined and the texture is similar to wet sand. Set aside until ready to assemble.
- Add egg yolks to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. On the highest speed whisk yolks until they thicken. Takes about 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat ½ cup heavy cream in a medium saucepan. Do not boil just warm up the milk.
- Add a splash of the warm milk to the egg mixture and stir gently. We are shocking the eggs so they do not get too hot and scramble.
- Next add the egg mixture with the rest of the milk into the sauce pan.
- Cook mixture until thick, 2 minutes.
- Add in chocolate and stir until melted and take off of the heat.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining ½ cup of heavy cream to the stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk until cream forms soft peaks. Very carefully fold the whipped heavy cream into the chocolate mixture. Place in the refrigerator until ready to assemble S'mores Mousse.
Marshmallow whipped cream
- Add heavy cream to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk until cream forms soft peaks.
- Add in sugar and vanilla whisk to combine.
- Fold in marshmallows by hand.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Layer about 1-2 tablespoons (depending on the container you are using) of graham cracker crust in the bottom of your glass or ramekin. Press down.
- Divide mousse evenly in each container. Refrigerate for at least two hours to let the mousse set.
- When ready to serve top with Marshmallow whipped cream and serve immediately.