Smokey, spicy and loaded with flavor this Spicy Guacamole has the perfect kick to it! This guacamole get’s it’s heat from chopped up chipotles in adobo. It is the perfect appetizer or snack to bring to parties or summer barbecues and it only takes 10 minutes to make!
Spicy Guacamole Recipe
This chipotle guacamole is smokey, spicy, chunky and loaded with flavor. It’s everything you would want in a guacamole! If you like spicy foods then this guacamole dip is for you. Chipotles in adobo is my secret weapon for spicing up foods and adding a wonderful smokiness. If you haven’t tried it yet you’re missing out. I’ve used it in everything from soups, to Chicken Wings, to Stuffed Peppers!
The chipotles add a smokey flavor to the guacamole as well as tons of heat. You can customize the spiciness to your likening. I typically start off with one chipotle pepper and add more if I want it spicier.
This spicy guacamole is extremely easy to make. Simply combine avocado, chipotle peppers, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, tomatoes and lime juice in a medium bowl. Make sure not to mash up the avocado too much. I like those big chunks of avocado in my guacamole.
If you’re going to make guacamole you have to make your own tortilla chips. They are so much better and worth the effort.
- Avocados: I like to look for dark green avocados that are really ripe and have a good amount of give when I touch them. This will ensure your guacamoles really creamy!
- Red Onion: Is a traditional ingredient in guacamole. If you are worried the red onion will be too strong simply soak in water for 15 minutes before using.
- Diced Tomato: Add a pop of color to the guacamole.
- Cilantro: I love adding fresh cilantro to my guacamole. If you are not a fan of cilantro simply omit.
- Lime juice: Keeps the guacamole from turing brown and gives the dip the perfect amount of acidity.
- Chipotles in adobo: Add the perfect amount of heat and smokiness to the guacamole.
- Optional Add In’s: Minced garlic, dried cumin, everything seasoning, greek yogurt (for a creamier guac).
What is chipotles in adobo?
Chipotles in adobo is made from dried smoked jalapeños. They have a smokey, spicy flavor and are in a thick tangy red sauce. They are the perfect addition to this spicy guacamole recipe.
How Do You Make Spicy Guacamole
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix to combine making sure not to mash up all of the avocado if you want it chunky style. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with your favorite chips!
Tips for making Guacamole
- To make mashing the avocado easier use a pastry blender, muddler or fork to mash up the avocado.
- If you are making this for a party you can make part of this ahead of time. I like to chop up my ingredients and toss them together the night before. Right before serving I add in the avocado.
- I typically tell the ripeness of an avocado first by the color. If it’s dark green it’s most likely ripe. If it’s bright green it needs some more time to ripen. I then lightly squeeze to see if they are soft and have some give which is a good sign that they are ripe.
How to keep Guacamole fresh
The best way I have found to keep guacamole from turning brown is to squeeze either lemon or lime juice on top of the spicy guacamole than cover with plastic wrap. Make sure the plastic wrap is touching the top of the guacamole for best results.
I have also read about the “water option” where you pour water on top of the guacamole then cover in plastic wrap. When you are ready to eat the guacamole drain the water then serve!
What to eat with Spicy Guacamole
- Pico de Gallo
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Crispy Pork Carnitas
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mexican Beef
- Mexican Kale Salad
- King Ranch Chicken
More Mexican Recipes to try!
- Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas
- Loaded Mexican Sweet Potatoes
- Refried Black Beans
- Mexican Salmon Salad
- Mexican Chicken Rice Bake
- Slow Cooker Mexican Beef
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Spicy Chipotle Pepper Guacamole
Spicy Chipotle Guacamole. Smokey, spicy and loaded with flavor. This guacamole get's it's heat from chopped up chipotles in adobo. Perfect as a snack or appetizer and only takes 10 minutes to make!
- 2 avocados roughly diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1-2 tablespoons chipotles in adobo peppers, minced or to taste
- 2 tablespoons red onion minced
- 3 tablespoons tomatoes diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix to combine making sure not to mash up all of the avocado. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with your favorite chips!
If making ahead of time add all of the ingredients together except for the avocado. Right before serving add in the avocado and mix. Serve immediately.