Whole Wheat Pizza With Vodka Sauce. Crispy homemade pizza topped with an amazing vodka sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese!
Living in a small apartment, counter space is hard to come by and is considered prime real estate. As a result, finding a whole wheat pizza dough recipe sans mixer or food processor proved arduous. Mixing dough by hand has its benefits. More control over your dough and less cleanup. Did I mention less cleanup? Therefore I created this Whole Wheat Pizza With Vodka Sauce to be prepared simply by hand and with minimal effort.
As for the sauce, I choose my creamy rustic vodka sauce with a hint of spice. I know what you’re thinking, isn’t vodka sauce for pasta? Not this time, why should the pasta have all the fun? Top the pizza off with slices of fresh mozzarella, parmesan and basil and your done! Pass up the temptation to purchase pre-made pizza dough and give this one a try!
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough With Vodka Sauce
Whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 envelope dry active yeast
- 1 Cup of hot water 105-110 degrees
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 14.5 oz can of Fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Vodka
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper flakes
- 1/8 cup Heavy cream
- 16 slices of Mozzarella thin
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp Basil Chiffonade
- For the dough:
- Add the first 5 ingredients (yeast through oil) into a large bowl and mix until combined. Allow yeast to proof for 5 minutes.
- Next add the all purpose flour and 1 cup of the whole wheat flour in two parts (reserve the remaining whole wheat flour). Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Knead dough for 5 minutes adding the reserved whole wheat flour as needed. Dough should not be sticking to your hands or surface. If it is, add more flour as needed. You should be left with an elastic dough non sticky dough.
- Place dough into a large lightly oiled bowl. Sprinkle a little extra oil on top of the dough and spread with your hands, Cover dough with a warm damp towel and let it rest until almost doubled. This usually takes 1 ½ hours. Make sure to place dough in a warm area to help it rise.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. If you have 2 pizza stones place them in the oven while it is preheating for a crisper crust.
- After dough has doubled in size, divide it into two balls. Place the dough on a lightly oiled cooking sheet and cover again with the warm damp towel. Allow dough to sit for 20 minutes. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and roll it out to about a quarter of an inch thick or the size of your pizza peel. Transfer dough to a baking sheet or pizza stone and repeat with the other section of dough.
- For the vodka sauce:
- Begin by adding olive oil into a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. When oil is hot add garlic and saute over medium heat for one minute. Add fire roasted tomatoes, vodka, and red pepper flakes and bring to a to a simmer. Cook sauce for 5 minutes to allow the alcohol to dissipate. Stir in heavy cream and cook for 1 minute. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Once it is cooled a bit and is more manageable pour sauce into a food processor and pulse until you have a nice smooth sauce. Sauce will still be a little chunky but this is good.
- Ladle and spread about one cup of sauce over each pizza leaving about 1 inch around the edges for the crust. Top with sliced mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Sprinkle pizza with fresh basil and enjoy!