100% Whole Wheat Streusel Pancakes made with Greek yogurt, cinnamon and vanilla. Topped with a buttery cinnamon streusel.
These days anything can be replaced with whole wheat flour. Bread, cookies, cereal you name it. But that doesn’t mean they always taste good. I mean a whole wheat cookie? What’s the point? But when I decided to make my favorite pancakes with whole wheat flour I was amazed with the outcome.
The pancakes turned out light and fluffy with a nutty flavor thanks to the whole wheat flour. There is no sacrifice in taste at all with this substitution.
These Whole Wheat Streusel Pancakes are the reason I get out of bed in the morning.
There is a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg in the pancakes. I added my secret ingredient, Greek yogurt to make the pancakes tender and fluffy.
These pancakes are super easy to make. Simply whisk the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately. Combine the two and fold gently. Pour onto a hot griddle or skillet and sprinkle with streusel. I also like to add extra cinnamon streusel and powdered sugar on top of the pancakes.
The pancakes and the streusel topping are made with 100% whole wheat flour. If you are unsure about having 100% whole wheat pancakes you can always do half whole wheat and half regular all-purpose flour. Just like with baking the more you mix the batter the tougher the pancakes will be. It’s ok to leave some lumps in the batter. We want our pancakes to be light and fluffy not tough.
I like to add the streusel to the pancakes while they are cooking. It gives the pancake a nice crispy bottom with the surprise of the buttery streusel underneath.
These Whole Wheat Streusel Pancakes tastes more like dessert than breakfast.
I love streusel and I have been known to double or triple a recipe that calls for streusel. Case in point my Blueberry Coffee Cake.
You will not feel as guilty about eating pancakes loaded with streusel when they are both made with whole wheat flour. Enjoy!
Whole Wheat Streusel Pancakes
Whole Wheat Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg whisked
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- butter for greasing griddle or skillet
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter softened
Whole Wheat Pancakes
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Whisk egg, Greek yogurt, milk, and vanilla together.
- Combine wet mixture into dry mixture, and fold gently. Do not over mix. (I like to use a rubber spatula and fold the batter) It is ok if the batter is still lumpy.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Pour small scoops of batter onto the skillet or griddle once warm. Sprinkle streusel on to the bottom of each pancake. I like to set extra aside for the top of the pancakes.
- Cook until golden brown on each side flipping halfway through. Takes about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Coat griddle or skillet with more butter in between each batch to prevent sticking.
- Serve immediately with syrup butter and extra streusel.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter.
- Mix together with your hands or with a fork. The mixture should be crumbly and the consistency of wet sand. Set aside until ready to use.