French Onion Grilled Cheese
French Onion Grilled Cheese. All of the flavors of French Onion soup you love stuffed into a grilled cheese sandwich. Made with caramelized onions, Swiss cheese, and parsley.
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter softened, plus more for buttering bread
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 4 slices whole wheat or sourdough bread
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley chopped
- 6 slices Swiss cheese sliced very thin
- warm beef stock for dipping if desired
Add butter and oil to a medium skillet.
Add onions and cook over low-medium heat for 30 minutes. Try not to stir the onions too much. The onions should be a dark brown color.
Add parsley to the caramelized onions and set aside.
Butter each slice of bread. Place buttered side down on a large skillet or griddle.
Add 3 extra thin slices of cheese on each side. (6 slices on each sandwich total).
Place onions on one side of bread. When the cheese has melted put sandwiches together and take out of the pan.
Cut in half and serve immediately with a side of hot beef broth if desired.