Chicken Katsu. A Japanese Style chicken cutlet breaded and fried until crispy. Served with a Tonkastu sauce over white rice!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- oil for deep frying
- white rice for serving
- Tonkatsu sauce for serving (you can buy store bought or make your own)
- green onions for garnish if desired
- sesame seeds for garnish if desired
Start by pounding each chicken thigh to 1/2 inch thickness. Sprinkle each chicken thigh with salt and pepper.
Add flour to a small shallow bowl.
Whisk egg and add to a small shallow bowl.
Add panko breadcrumb to a small shallow bowl.
Starting with the flour dredge chicken one at a time then into the egg then into the panko breadcrumbs until fully coated.
Heat a large pot with oil at least 2 inches high to 350 degrees. When the oil is hot add in chicken one or two at a time and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until fully cooked.
Place chicken on a plate lined with paper towels and allow the chicken to rest for 2 minutes before slicing.
Serve immediately with white rice, tonkatsu sauce, green onions and sesame seeds for garnish, if desired.