Vietnamese Caramel Chicken
Vietnamese Caramel Chicken. Chicken thighs simmered until tender in a coconut brown sugar sauce!
- 4 bone in and skin on chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small jalapeño sliced (optional, can omit if you don't want any spice)
- green onions for garnish if desired
Heat brown sugar and water in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk constantly until mixture starts to thicken slightly and bubble, 1-2 minutes.
Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, rice vinegar, garlic and jalapeño.
Add in chicken skin side down and simmer for 25 minutes over medium heat. (If the sauce is getting too brown turn down the heat)
Flip chicken and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Turn chicken once more so it is skin side down. Cook for a 1-2 more minutes to brown the skin and remove from the heat.
Serve immediately with green onions for garnish if desired.
Adapted from Recipe Tin Eats