30 minute General Tso Chicken
This easy and delicious 30 minute General Tso's Chicken recipe is pan-fried and tossed in a sweet and sticky sauce. Skip the takeout and make this dish in the comfort of home!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups oil for deep frying
- sesame seeds for serving if desired
- crushed red pepper flakes for heat if desired
For the marinade:
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Add 4 cups of oil to a large pot or dutch oven. Heat to 350 degrees.
Meanwhile, combine the marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add in the cubed chicken and stir to coat. Set aside until ready to cook.
In a small bowl combine the sauce ingredients.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and dredge the chicken pieces in the cornstarch and shake off any excess.
Working in batches, deep fry the chicken in oil until the chicken is golden brown, crispy and cooked through.
While the chicken is cooking heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan or skillet.
Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add in the sauce ingredients and simmer until thickened.
Stir in the cooked chicken tossing to coat the chicken in the sauce. Simmer for 3-4 minutes to thicken.
Serve immediately with sesame seeds for garnish, if desired.
(For some heat sprinkle on crushed red pepper flakes)
Adapted from TABLESPOON