This Chickpea Curry Recipe is loaded with flavor! All you need is 45 minutes and one pot to make this easy chickpea curry! This recipe is vegan, gluten free and vegetarian. Serve over rice with a side of garlic naan bread!
- 1/4 cup oil (olive oil, vegetable oil or coconut oil would all work)
- 5 whole cloves or 3/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 seeds green cardamom, can substitute with 1/2 tsp ground all spice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt or more to taste
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 15 ounce can chick peas
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- lime wedges for serving, if desired
Add oil to a large saute pan and heat over medium high heat. Add in cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and green cardamom. Heat 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Keep an eye on them so they do not burn.
Add onion and salt and cook over medium heat until golden brown and caramelized, about 5-6 minutes.
Add ginger, garlic and jalapeno and saute for one minute.
Next add in turmeric, cumin, garam masala, curry powder and diced tomato. Cook tomatoes down to a thick paste over medium heat, about 15 minutes.
Add water, coconut milk, chick peas. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
Take off of the heat and add in the fresh cilantro. Serve immediately with lime wedges if desired.