Easy Red Beans and Rice
One Pot Red Beans and Rice Recipe! Made with bacon, mirepoix, andouille sausage and spices. This dish is loaded with tons of flavor. Best of all it can be made in less than one hour! Perfect for a busy weeknight. Step by step photos included below!
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 2-3 sprigs of fresh
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans red beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, or more as needed
- 2 cups cooked rice for serving
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot sauce for serving, if desired
- fresh parsley or chives for serving, if desired
In a large skillet add diced bacon and cook until golden brown and fully cooked, 4-5 minutes.
Next add in onion, celery and bell pepper. Saute until golden brown and slightly tender, 3-4 minutes.
Add in garlic and sliced andouille and saute for 2-3 minutes to brown the sausage.
Add in spices: paprika, dried oregano, dried thyme and bay leaves. Saute the spices for 1 minute.
Stir in the chicken broth and beans. Simmer on low for 25-30 minutes or until the flavors are developed and the mixture has thickened. If it has thickened too much add a splash more chicken broth.
Meanwhile cook rice according to package instructions. Set aside until you are ready to eat.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately over rice with fresh parsley or chives for serving, if desired.