King Ranch Chicken
King Ranch Chicken casserole layered with corn tortillas, Mexican cheese, sour cream and shredded chicken. This makes a great make ahead freezer meal and is a crowd favorite! The best thing about this recipe is that it's made from scratch! No canned soup required. This is the best king ranch chicken casserole you will ever have!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken thighs (you can also use leftover rotisserie chicken)
- 16 ounces sour cream (about 2 cups)
- 16 ounces jarred salsa, use either hot, medium or mild (I used hot)
- 4.5 ounces chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 12 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend (about 3 cups)
- 15 corn tortillas
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add olive oil to a medium skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add in onion and bell pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes or until softened and golden brown. Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
To a large bowl add sautéed peppers, onions and garlic, chicken, sour cream, salsa, green chilies, cilantro, chili powder and cumin.
Cut the tortillas into smaller pieces.
Spoon 1/4 of the chicken mixture into the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking dish. Top with 3/4 cup of the cheese and a layer of cut tortillas. Repeat two more layers. Spread the last 1/4 of chicken filling and remaining 3/4 cup of cheese on top.
Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!
Adapted from A Spicy Perspective