Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
This easy tater tot breakfast casserole, made with delicious sausage, melty cheeses, and crispy tots, is the perfect weekend brunch recipe.
- 35 frozen tater tots
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cooked sausage
- 1 cup cooked spinach
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Layer the tater tots in an even layer in the bottom of the pan.
In a large bowl combine the onion, bell pepper, sausage, spinach, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, eggs and milk. Whisk until combined.
Pour the egg mixture on top of the tater tots and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the casserole is no longer giggly and is completely set.
Allow the casserole to cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan before slicing and serving. My favorite way to serve this breakfast casserole is with hot sauce, everything seasoning and sliced avocado on top!
- Top with avocado: My favorite way to serve this breakfast casserole is with hot sauce, everything seasoning and sliced avocado on top!
- Turn up the heat: I love to drizzle Sriracha on each slice of breakfast casserole before serving, but if you're looking for more spice, you can add hot sauce into the egg mixture before baking or even throw in a few diced jalapeños.
- Make it vegetarian: This tater tot breakfast bake is just as delicious sans sausage. Add more veggies or substitute with your favorite vegan option.
- Add all the cheese: There's no reason you have to stick with just one type of cheese in this recipe. If you're really wanting to embrace the melty, cheesy breakfast casserole, try combining two or three different types of cheese and layering it between the tots and egg mixture, THEN on top, too!
- Make ahead: Sometimes, I know I want to have a tasty breakfast but I also know I'm not going to want to MAKE that tasty breakfast -- a conundrum, I know. When I'm fortunate enough to have that foresight, I like to throw together this casserole in the evening, refrigerate, then pop it into the oven in the morning! Perfect lazy breakfast with minimal effort.