Healthy Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread. Super soft, moist and loaded with chocolate! You would never know there is zucchini in this!
I’ve got the perfect use for all of the zucchini in your garden: Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread!
This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is loaded with tons of chocolate flavor. I used unsweetened cocoa powder AND semi-sweet chocolate chips. I added instant coffee granules to bring out the flavor of the chocolate. It’s pretty hard to believe that there are vegetables in this bread!
How to make Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, flax seed and instant coffee granules or espresso powder.
- In a medium bowl combine the brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, greek yogurt or sour cream. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Try not to overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and zucchini by hand with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.
What makes this Chocolate Zucchini Bread Healthier
- Greek Yogurt: Instead of adding oil I use greek yogurt to keep the bread soft and moist. Sour cream can be substituted if you have that on hand.
- Less Sugar: I add less brown sugar than my typical zucchini bread recipe. You can also substitute the light brown sugar for honey or maple syrup.
- Flax Seed: I add flax seed to the bread for added fiber.
- Less Flour: Only 1 cup of flour gets added to this bread. You can always substitute gluten free flour or a mix of almond flour or coconut flour.
Tips for making Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- I used my food processor to easily shred the zucchini.
- Resist the urge to slice into it right away. Let it cool completely before slicing it or the bread can crumble.
- Store bread at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days. This bread also freezes really well. Wrap it in plastic wrap then aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months!
Here are more bread recipes to enjoy!
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bread
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini shredded
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules or espresso powder
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks or semi sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter or grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan and set aside.
In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, flax seed and instant coffee granules or espresso powder.
In a medium bowl combine the brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, greek yogurt or sour cream.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
Fold in the chocolate chips and zucchini.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.
Slice bread and serve!