Chocolate Zucchini Bread
This healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread is super soft, moist and so loaded with chocolatey goodness, you would never know there is zucchini in this! This decadent zucchini loaf makes a really great breakfast option that is made with amazing ingredients. Kids love it too!
This recipes is great healthy choice because it’s made with less sugar and less flour. It includes flax seed which adds fiber to this recipe, and I use Greek yogurt instead of oil!
Looking for more Zucchini Recipes? Try my Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread, my Zucchini Brownies or The BEST Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies!
This double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is loaded with tons of flavor. I used unsweetened cocoa powder AND semi-sweet chocolate chips. I also added in instant coffee granules to bring out the flavor of the chocolate. It’s pretty hard to believe that there are vegetables in this bread!
This easy zucchini loaf recipe is not too sweet, loaded with chocolate, soft on the inside and super moist. It’s the perfect excuse for eating your dessert for breakfast! This is also a great way to use up all that zucchini you’ve got lying around the kitchen!
What Makes This Chocolate Zucchini Bread Healthier?
- Greek Yogurt: Instead of adding oil I use Greek yogurt to keep the bread soft and moist. Sour cream can be substituted if you have that on hand.
- Less Sugar: I add less brown sugar than my typical zucchini bread recipe. You can also substitute the light brown sugar for honey or maple syrup.
- Flax Seed: I add flax seed to the bread for added fiber.
- Less Flour: Only 1 cup of flour gets added to this bread. You can always substitute gluten free flour or a mix of almond flour or coconut flour.
Ingredients For This Healthy Recipe
- Zucchini: the star ingredient for this recipe. It’s also what keeps the bread moist and super tender.
- Flour: this recipe calls for a lot less flour than typical recipes. Which is a great reason why this is a much healthier version of any old traditional chocolate zucchini bread.
- Cocoa Powder: Is the key to making this zucchini loaf rich and chocolatey!
- Baking Soda: An important ingredient to use when baking as it will allow the bread to rise as it bakes.
- Salt: Helps to bring out the flavors of the chocolate.
- Flax Seed: For added fiber and nutrition.
- Coffee Granules/Espresso Powder: Just like with salt coffee helps to bring out thechocolate flavor in the zucchini bread.
- Light Brown Sugar: Adds sweetness and also extra flavor.
- Eggs: Help to bind the loaf together. You could also use a flax egg.
- Vanilla Extract: Is added for flavor.
- Greek Yogurt: Adds so much moisture to this bread. Sour cream can also be substituted.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: You could also use chocolate chunks or even peanut butter chips!
How To Make Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Combine dry ingredients: In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, flax seed and instant coffee granules or espresso powder.
- Combine wet ingredients: In a medium bowl combine the brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, Greek yogurt or sour cream. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Try not to overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips and zucchini by hand with a rubber spatula.
- Bake: Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool: Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.
Tips For Making Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- I used my food processor to easily shred the zucchini.
- Replace the all purpose flour for gluten free flour to make this healthy chocolate zucchini bread gluten free.
- Resist the urge to slice into it right away. Let it cool completely before slicing it or the bread can crumble.
- Use your favorite type of chocolate. I like using semi sweet chocolate chips however dark chocolate chunks or even peanut butter chips can be added.
Storage, Freezing and Reheating Instructions
Store: Bread at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Freeze: This bread also freezes really well. Slice then wrap it in aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months! Bring it back to room temperature and warm up in the microwave if desired.
Here Are More Easy Bread Recipes To Enjoy!
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread
Need more quick & easy recipes in your life? Subscribe to my weekly newsletter or follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for all the daily updates.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini shredded
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flax seed
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules or espresso powder
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks or semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan and set aside.In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, flax seed and instant coffee granules or espresso powder.
- In a medium bowl combine the brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and zucchini.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely before slicing. Slice bread and serve!