This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread recipe is super moist, soft, and loaded with chocolate chips. You can make this zucchini bread with either yogurt or sour cream to keep it super tender! It’s a great way to use up zucchini from your garden that doubles as breakfast or dessert!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Homemade Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
When your garden gives you tons of zucchini, make zucchini bread!
There’s just nothing better than zucchini bread, especially when it’s loaded with chocolate chips. I played around with this recipe a few times to get it perfect — less flour, more zucchini, different oven temps, and baking methods. We ultimately settled on a batter with less flour, a higher oven temp, and more zucchini. I also added greek yogurt for a super soft and moist bread. You would never guess there is zucchini in this!
- Dry Ingredients: You’ll need standard baking ingredients for this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread including all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Wet Ingredients: All you’ll need is an egg, canola oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), and vanilla extract. The yogurt or sour cream keeps the bread super moist with a tight crumb!
- Zucchini: Just one cup, or one medium zucchini, shredded. This may seem like a lot, but it almost melts into the rest of the bread ingredients!
- Chocolate Chips: I like semisweet, but you could also use dark chocolate or milk chocolate, if preferred.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Combine dry ingredients: In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Combine wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, both sugars, greek yogurt and vanilla extract until combined.
- Make batter: Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold gently. Do not over mix. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool: Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Take the loaf out of the pan and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve: Slice bread and serve! I like serving this bread with some butter, nutella or peanut butter on top!
Tips for making Zucchini Bread
- Don’t overmix the batter! Just like cakes and cookies over mixing will lead to a tougher bread.
- Keep the oven door shut while baking. Continuously opening the oven door will cause the bread to sink.
- Make sure bread is fully cooked before taking it out of the oven. If the bread is undercooked it will sink in the middle. Test the center with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, you’re good!
- Leave the peel on the zucchini. The peel has tons of nutrients and fiber.
- Use a food processor to shred my zucchini. A couple pulses and it’s done! It’s much easier than grating!
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
- Store this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread at room temperature for up to 4 days in an airtight container, or freeze it up to 3 months!
- Reheat it by the slice or as a whole loaf in the microwave for 30-second intervals until warmed through, in the oven at 325 for 10 minutes or so, or in a skillet over medium heat.
Here are more bread recipes to enjoy!
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bread
- Marble Chocolate Banana Bread
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan with non stick cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, both sugars, greek yogurt and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold gently. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Take the loaf out of the pan and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack. Slice bread and serve!