Super Tender Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs. Loaded with Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley and garlic. They melt in your mouth and are incredibly tender. Simmered low and slow for 4 hours!
Rich, meaty, hearty and comforting. The perfect meal for busy weeknights or Sunday dinner.
This recipe makes enough to serve 6-8 people and always leaves tons of leftovers.
You will need a little bit of prep time to throw the meatballs together. The most time consuming part of this recipe is forming the meatballs.
As for the meat I use a blend of beef and pork. I always steer clear of the lean meat when I am making meatballs.
It’s important to sear the meatballs before adding them to the slow cooker. This helps to keep the juices inside. I brown the meatballs under the broiler on a sheet tray to get a nice caramelization on the outside. Toss them in the slow cooker and throw in some crushed tomatoes.
A quick tip for making your meatballs: Do not over mix. I combine the ingredients with my hands just until it’s combined. That’s it. When you portion the meatballs they tend to get a little sticky. I recommend wetting your hands with water before you start rolling out your meatballs.
This recipe makes tons of meatballs. Freeze the extras for a quick weeknight meal.
All you have to do is boil some pasta and dinner is served! Serve as a meatball sandwich or on a pile of spaghetti.
The sauce is super simple as well. Simmering the sauce low and slow for 4 hours makes the sauce super thick, rich and loaded with flavor. I add some crushed red pepper flakes, italian seasoning and bay leaves for extra flavor.
Serve with a big pile of spaghetti and dig in!
Love these Italian Meatballs? Here are some more meatball recipes to try:
- Thai Red Curry Chicken Meatballs
- Teriyaki Beef Meatballs
- Turkey Meatballs with Arugula and Mushrooms
- Asian Style Chicken Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Asian Sesame Meatballs
Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 2 (24 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 whole bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- basil for serving, if desired
- parmesan cheese for serving, if desired
- Add beef, pork, onion, garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs, eggs and cheese to a large bowl. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until combined.
- Form into 1 or 2 inch meatballs. I made 24 meatballs.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet. Broil meatballs on high until browned on each side. About 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Add meatballs to slow cooker.
- Top with crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with basil or parmesan cheese for serving, if desired.