Easy Restaurant Quality Beef Fried Rice. Loaded with tender flank steak, white rice, carrots, broccoli and eggs! So much better than takeout and ready in under 30 minutes!
Easy Beef Fried Rice
Beef Fried Rice is one of my favorite meals. It’s an easy way to use up leftover rice and veggies that you have in the fridge. Best of all this Beef Fried Rice Recipe can be made in under 30 minutes!
I loaded this fried rice with carrots, broccoli, and lots of garlic. Everything gets sautéed in a large skillet along with the beef and rice. Once everything is cooked I add in my sauce: soy sauce, sesame oil and oyster sauce. Just 3 ingredients! Here’s what you’ll need to make this beef fried rice:
- Oil: Use your favorite type of cooking oil. I typically use a neutral oil like canola oil.
- Eggs: Are added for protein. You can omit and substitute tofu if you are allergic to eggs.
- Veggies: I use diced carrots, onions, garlic and peas. Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have on hand.
- Rice: I prefer to use long grain white rice or jasmine rice. It cooks up fluffy and does not clump together.
- Soy sauce: I always use low sodium soy sauce however dark or regular soy sauce can be substituted just make sure to dilute it a bit with water to cut down on the saltiness.
- Oyster sauce: Is a thick savory slightly sweet and salty sauce that can be found in the international or asian section of your grocery store.
- Sesame oil: Adds a wonderfully nutty flavor to this recipe. A little bit goes a long way!
- For serving: I like to top my stir fried rice with green onions and sesame seeds for garnish.
How to make Beef Fried Rice
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil into a large skillet. Add the eggs and scramble until fully cooked. Remove them from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the steak and cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes, just until seared and caramelized on the outside. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add carrots and broccoli to the pan and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add in the cold rice and sauté for 3-4 minutes. The rice should brown up a bit. Add the eggs and the steak back to the pan and stir in soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes to heat through. Serve immediately with sesame seeds for garnish, if desired.
Tips for making The Best Fried Rice
- Use long grain rice or jasmine rice: I prefer using either long grain rice or jasmine rice when making egg fried rice. They tend to hold up better than any other rice and tend not to get too sticky.
- Day old rice is best: The trick to The Best Fried Rice is using cold day old rice. However if you are in a pinch make the rice first and spread it out onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Pop it in the fridge to cool down quickly.
- Always rinse the rice before using: This prevents the rice from clumping up and becoming sticky.
- Add some heat: If you like extra heat add in some Sriracha or chili garlic sauce. I usually start at about 1 teaspoon and work my way up.
- Ground Beef Fried Rice: In place of the cubed flank steak try making this recipe with ground beef. Simply brown the meat in the pan, set aside then toss back in with the rice and veggies once they’ve finished cooking.
- Cauliflower Fried Rice: In place of the rice try adding riced cauliflower for a healthy gluten free twist.
- Quinoa Fried Rice: Quinoa is another healthy low carb option. You can cook the quinoa ahead of time and add it in just like you would the rice.
- Kimchi Fried Rice: For a twist try adding chopped up kimchi. It adds the perfect tang and heat!
- Brown rice: Can be substituted for the white rice for extra fiber and nutrients.
- Other veggie options: Feel free to substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand. Red bell peppers, celery or broccoli would all be great in this!
What to serve with Beef Fried Rice
- Vegetable Chow Mein
- Homemade Egg Rolls
- Kung Pao Shrimp
- Egg Drop Soup
- Homemade Dumplings
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Wonton Soup
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Here are more Easy Rice Recipes to try!
Easy Beef Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons oil divided
- 3 eggs whisked
- 8 ounces flank steak cubed
- 2 medium carrots small dice
- 1 cup broccoli cut into small florets
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups cooked and chilled rice (I either use white or brown rice)
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- sesame seeds for garnish if desired
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil into a large skillet. Add the eggs and scramble until fully cooked. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the steak and cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes, just until seared and caramelized on the outside. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add carrots and broccoli to the pan and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in the cold rice and sauté for 3-4 minutes. The rice should brown up a bit.
- Add the eggs and the steak back to the pan and stir in soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes to heat through.
- Serve immediately with sesame seeds for garnish, if desired.
Originally published May 3, 2018