This copycat Chipotle Cilantro Brown Rice Recipe is a quick and healthy side dish that can be made in less than 45 minutes! Make this cilantro lime brown rice and add it to your favorite bowl, tacos and burritos, or serve it on the side of your favorite Mexican dishes!
When I am in need of a quick and easy side dish for a weeknight meal this cilantro and lime brown rice is always my go-to. It’s healthy, fresh, fast, and made with ingredients I always have in the pantry. I add fresh squeezed lime juice, lime zest and fresh cilantro to give this rice tons of flavor. This easy rice recipe is made without butter or oil making it a light and healthy side dish.
Why I love this brown rice with cilantro and lime:
- Easy! Prep just takes 5 minutes, and you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand in your pantry.
- Healthy! There’s no butter or oil in this recipe.
- Tasty! This isn’t your average rice side dish! It’s loaded with flavor from garlic, cilantro, lime zest and fresh squeeze lime juice!
- Kid-Friendly! Kids may even prefer this flavorful rice to the usual plain white rice. Healthy win!
How do I make this healthy cilantro lime brown rice?
It’s so easy – just 2 steps!
- Boil the rice: Add rice, water or chicken broth and lime zest to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 30-35 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir in herbs and seasonings: Take off of the heat and stir in the lime juice, cilantro and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Do I have to use brown rice?
No! You can use white rice, jasmine rice or instant rice for this healthy side dish! It’s totally preference! Just make sure to remember that white rice or jasmine rice will take about 15-20 minutes and instant rice should take about 10 minutes.
- Cook the rice in stock instead of water. Chicken or vegetable stock works really well in this recipe!
- Other herbs to try: Cilantro is my favorite for this recipe, but fresh basil, parsley or oregano would also be delicious! If you like a bit of heat, try dicing a chili pepper or adding crushed red pepper flakes!
What do I serve this Cilantro Lime Brown Rice recipe with?
Copycat Chipotle burrito bowl: This is a great option for meal prep! Here is how I would make a super tasty burrito bowl:
- Bottom layer: This Healthy Cilantro & Lime Brown Rice recipe.
- Protein: Instant Pot Carnitas (see the end of this post for more protein options!)
- Toppings: Spicy Chipotle Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, shredded lettuce, black beans, cilantro plus a few Homemade Tortilla Chips! Optional: Sour cream and Mexican cheese.
Other fantastic recipes to make a healthy burrito bowl:
- Slow Cooker Mexican Beef
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Crispy Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Guacamole
- Black Bean & Corn Salsa
Healthy Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
A quick and healthy side dish that can be made in less than 45 minutes!
- 2 cups uncooked long grain brown rice
- 4 cups water or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic powder or 1 tsp of fresh garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
Add rice, water or chicken broth and lime zest to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and cook for 30-35 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed and the rice is tender.
Take off of the heat and stir in the lime juice, cilantro and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Originally published Aug 19, 2014