The BEST Fried Rice. This easy fried rice is loaded with veggies and only takes 20 minutes to make! So much better and healthier than takeout!
The BEST Fried Rice
Vegetable Fried Rice has to be one of my all time favorite dishes. I love making Chinese food at home and fried rice is always the perfect accompaniment to my take out style dishes. I love serving this rice with my General Tso’s Chicken and my Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef.
It all starts off with cold day old rice. If you are like me and don’t always plan ahead make sure to cook your rice first and allow it time to completely cool in the fridge. Fried rice is best when it is made with cold rice. You can even cook the rice the night before. The longer the rice sits the better it tastes!
Next, I add lots of veggies to this rice. For flavor I add soy sauce and oyster sauce. I like to add Sriracha for a little kick. This recipe is a great way to work in any leftovers. You can substitute any vegetables you have on hand. You can also toss in chicken, bacon, pancetta or try my Shrimp Fried Rice or Beef Fried Rice Recipe.
Best of all you only need 20 minutes to throw together this recipe! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter: I love using butter in my Chinese fried rice! To me it adds a lot more flavor and helps to brown the rice. You can always substitute any other cooking oil if you prefer.
- Eggs: Are added for protein. You can omit and substitute tofu if you are allergic to eggs.
- Veggies: I use diced carrots, onions, garlic and peas. Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have on hand.
- Rice: I prefer to use long grain white rice or jasmine rice. It cooks up fluffy and does not clump together.
- Soy sauce: I always use low sodium soy sauce however dark or regular soy sauce can be substituted just make sure to dilute it a bit with water to cut down on the saltiness.
- Oyster sauce: Is a thick savory slightly sweet and salty sauce that can be found in the international or asian section of your grocery store.
- Sesame oil: Adds a wonderfully nutty flavor to this recipe. A little bit goes a long way!
- For serving: I like to top my stir fried rice with green onions and sesame seeds for garnish.
How to make Fried Rice
Start by heating 1 tablespoon of butter into a large skillet. Add the eggs and scramble until fully cooked. Remove them from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter into the pan. Add carrots and onion to the pan and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add in the cold rice and peas and sauté for 3-4 minutes. The rice should brown up a bit. Add the eggs back to the pan and stir in soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes to heat through. Serve immediately with green onions for garnish, if desired.
Tips for making The Best Fried Rice
- Use long grain rice or jasmine rice: I prefer both types of rice for making egg fried rice they tend to hold up better than any other rice and tend not to get too sticky.
- Day old rice is best: However if you are in a pinch make the rice first and spread it out onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Pop it in the fridge to cool down quickly.
- Always rinse the rice before using: This prevents the rice from clumping up and becoming sticky.
- Add some heat: If you like extra heat add in some Sriracha or chili garlic sauce. I usually start at about 1 teaspoon and work my way up.
- In place of the rice try adding cauliflower or quinoa for a healthy twist.
- For protein add beef, shrimp or chicken to this recipe. Simply brown the protein first, set aside then toss back in with the rice and veggies once they’ve finished cooking.
- For a twist try adding chopped up kimchi for kimchi fried rice. It adds the perfect tang and heat!
- Brown rice can be substituted for the white rice for extra fiber and nutrients.
- Feel free to substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand. Red bell peppers, celery or broccoli would all be great in this!
What to serve with Vegetable Fried Rice
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- Homemade Egg Rolls
- General Tso’s Chicken
- 30 Minute Mongolian Beef
- Kung Pao Shrimp
- Egg Drop Soup
- Homemade Dumplings
- Chicken Lo Mein
Watch how to make Fried Rice in the video below:
The BEST Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 3 eggs whisked
- 2 medium carrots small dice
- 1 small onion small dice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 4 cups cooked and chilled rice (I either use white or brown rice)
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- sliced green onions for garnish if desired
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter into a large skillet.
- Add the eggs and scramble until fully cooked. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter into the pan.
- Add carrots and onion to the pan and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in the cold rice and peas and sauté for 3-4 minutes. The rice should brown up a bit.
- Add the eggs back to the pan and stir in soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes to heat through.
- Serve immediately with green onions for garnish, if desired.