Take your Fried Rice up a notch with this Curry Fried Rice! The curry powder adds so much flavor and is a fun twist on traditional fried rice. This Curry Fried Rice is made with leftover white rice, peas, carrots and onions! It makes the perfect side dish to Asian or Indian food!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Curry Fried rice
This easy curry fried rice recipe is made with warm, aromatic curry powder, fresh vegetables, crispy rice, and is then lightly seasoned with umami-packed soy sauce. The combination of flavors here is absolutely delicious!
Plus, it is easy to make, and can be ready to eat in just 20 minutes. Customize this recipe according to your taste, adjusting the curry powder for heat and adding protein like eggs or chicken for a full meal!
Follow along for all of my tips and tricks for better-than-takeout fried rice!
- Butter: The key to flavorful, slightly caramelized fried rice is butter! It adds so much more flavor then neutral cooking oil!
- Carrots: I like to dice my carrots into small, bite sized pieces. That way they will cook more quickly!
- Onion: Also dice the onion into small cubes.
- Garlic: Garlic adds a depth of flavor and amazing aroma!
- Curry Powder: You can add this in increments, in order to adjust for spice. Start with just 1 tablespoon and add more if needed!
- Cooked Rice: Another very key component to making amazing curry fried rice is to use previously cooked and chilled rice. If you use fresh, hot rice, the grains will stick together and become mushy!
- Soy Sauce: I used low sodium soy sauce here. You can use regular soy sauce, but make sure not to make it too salty! Coconut aminos are also a great substitute for lower sodium.
- Peas: If adding frozen peas, make sure to give everything enough time to heat through at the end!
- Green Onions: For garnish, if desired.
How to Make curry fried rice
- Sauté Veggies: Add butter to a large skillet. Once melted, add in carrots and onions and sauté over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Mix Everything Together: Stir in the curry powder and sauté for 1 minute to bloom the spice. Add in rice and stir fry coating the rice in the spiced and toasting the rice. Stir in soy sauce and peas. Once everything is warm, serve immediately with green onions for garnish, if desired.
tips for success
- Add some protein! This curry fried rice would be delicious with the addition of chicken, steak, tofu or shrimp. Or, as in a lot of fried rice recipes, you can add some eggs!
- Switch up the veggies! You can really use whatever vegetables you have on hand. I like to add carrots, peas and onions every time as a good base. But you can also throw in some broccoli, bell peppers or corn!
- Don’t skip the butter! The key to perfectly crispy and slightly caramelized fried rice that is just like takeout is the butter. The butter adds a nutty flavor and crisps up the rice way better than oil!
frequently asked questions
What if I don’t have leftover rice on hand?
If you don’t have any leftover rice on hand, don’t fret. You can make some fresh rice, and then once it is done cooking, pour the hot rice onto a baking sheet. Spread the rice into an even layer on the baking sheet and cover it with plastic wrap. Then place it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. By then, the rice will be cold enough to use for fried rice!
How should I store leftover curry fried rice?
Store any leftover curry fried rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Simply reheat in the microwave!
You can also freeze curry fried rice if you would like. Let it cool in the fridge and then place in a freezer safe container like a ziplock bag and freeze for up to 2 months. You can thaw in the fridge overnight and then crisp it up again in a pan before serving!
What to serve with curry fried rice
More Easy Dinner Recipes to Try
- Air Fryer Fried Rice
- Zucchini Noodle Stir Fry
- Asian-Style Chicken Meatballs
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Chicken Chow Mein
Curry Fried Rice
- Add butter to a large skillet. Once melted add in carrots and onions and sauté over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes or until tender.Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in curry powder and sauté for 1 minute to bloom the spices.Add in rice and stir fry coating the rice in the spices and toasting the rice.Stir in soy sauce and peas. Serve immediately with green onions for garnish, if desired.