Easy Vegetable Fried Rice. Loaded with tons of extra vegetables and topped with a fried egg! So much better and healthier than takeout! Ready in less than 30 minutes!
This veggie lovers fried rice is loaded with flavor and can be ready in under 30 minutes! It’s a easy healthy dinner that is perfect for a busy weeknight!
Instead of scrambling my eggs like I usually do for fried rice I decided to place a fried egg on top. Just make sure not to overcook the egg so the egg yolk is still nice and runny. It creates a nice creamy eggy sauce for the fried rice. It is amazing!
For this vegetable fried rice recipe I added all of my favorites, corn, peas, and carrots. For flavor I added in fish sauce, soy sauce, and my favorite Sriracha. If you like spicy foods (like me) you can serve extra Sriracha on the side. I like the combination of the spicy rice and the creamy egg yolk.
How to make Vegetable Fried Rice
- Cook rice: According to package instructions.
- Saute veggies: While the rice is cooking heat a medium skillet with 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Next add carrots and onions and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in sauce / rice: Toss cooked rice into the pan with the carrot/onion mixture. Add the peas, corn, Sriracha, fish sauce, and soy sauce. Toss to combine. Keep the heat on low to keep warm.
- Fry eggs: Meanwhile, heat a small skillet with olive oil. Cook 4 fried eggs making sure not to overcook so the yolk is still runny.
- Serve: Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds and serve immediately.
- Store: Any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: In a skillet on the stove with a bit of oil or a splash of soy sauce. Fry an egg to serve on top and enjoy!
How to make The Best Fried Rice
- Use long grain rice or jasmine rice: I prefer both types of rice for making Chinese vegetable fried rice they tend to hold up better than any other rice and tend not to get too sticky.
- Use leftover rice: I love using leftover rice for my vegetable stir fry rice! When it sits in the fridge it gets cold and doesn’t stick together as easily as freshly cooked rice. This ensures your fried rice wont get mushy or clump together. However if you are in a pinch make the rice first and spread it out onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Pop it in the fridge or freezer to cool down quickly.
- Always rinse the rice before using: This prevents the rice from clumping up and becoming sticky or gummy.
- Add some heat: If you like extra heat (like me) add in some Sriracha, crushed pepper flakes or chili garlic sauce. I usually start at about 1 teaspoon and work my way up.
- Make it low carb: In place of the rice try adding cauliflower or quinoa for a healthy twist.
- Kimchi fried rice: Add kimchi for a bit of tang and spice.
- Make it even healthier: Brown rice can be substituted for the white rice for extra fiber and nutrients.
- Add other veggies: Feel free to substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand. Red bell peppers, zucchini, celery or broccoli would all be great in this!
What to serve with Fried Rice
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- Homemade Egg Rolls
- General Tso’s Chicken
- 30 Minute Mongolian Beef
- Kung Pao Shrimp
- Egg Drop Soup
- Homemade Dumplings
- Chicken Lo Mein
Here are more Takeout Inspired Recipes to make at home!
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- Easy Spicy Szechuan Beef
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- Chinese Pepper Steak
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 30 Minute General Tso’s Chicken
Vegetable Fried Rice Topped With Fried Egg
This Vegetable Fried Rice is loaded with vegetables and can be on the dinner table in less than 20 minutes! Serve with a fried egg on top!
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 2 tablespoons oil divided
- 1/2 cup carrots small dice
- 1/2 cup onion small dice
- 3/4 cup peas
- 3/4 cup corn
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- ½ teaspoon Fish Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 4 large eggs
- oil or butter, as needed for frying eggs
- green onions for garnish, if desired
- sesame seeds for garnish, if desired
Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Add carrots and onions and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
Toss cooked rice into the pan and add in the peas, corn, sriracha, fish sauce, and soy sauce and stir to combine.
Meanwhile, heat a small skillet with a 1/4 tablespoon olive oil. Cook 4 fried eggs one at a time with 1/4 tablespoon olive oil for each serving. Garnish with scallions and serve immediately.