Easy 30 Minute Chicken Stir Fry is loaded with chicken, vegetables, and so much flavor! The veggies and chicken get tossed in a tangy and spicy Asian inspired peanut sauce. Serve over brown or white rice to complete the meal!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
The Best Chicken Stir Fry
Who doesn’t love a good chicken and broccoli stir fry?! Tons of veggies mixed in an Asian inspired peanut sauce. Plus everything gets cooked in one pan AND it can be made in less than 30 minutes? Count me in!
In my house we love making stir fry’s at least once a week. They are a great way to use up leftover vegetables before they go bad. I’ve made this recipe with everything from bell peppers to bok choy, celery, onions and cauliflower. The possibilities are endless!
This easy chicken stir fry recipe is super healthy thanks to all of the vegetables. I also added chicken for some protein. This stir fry isn’t loaded with tons of sauce making it a light weeknight meal you won’t feel guilty about eating. Feel free to double the sauce if you want the dish to be a bit saucier.
The best thing about this chicken stir fry recipe is the sauce. It’s the perfect combination of sweet and spicy with tons of peanut flavor. If your like me and you like a little extra spice toss in some more red pepper flakes, sriracha or chili garlic sauce.
This easy chicken stir fry is made with simple, whole ingredients with a delicious sauce. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken: You can use chicken breast or boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you prefer. Both work great in this recipe.
- Vegetables: For the veggies, I used onion, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms and garlic. Feel free to add or omit veggies depending on your preference and what you have readily available.
- For the Sauce: This savory and tangy sauce uses peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha, fish sauce, and sesame oil. I like to use low sodium soy sauce to but back on the salt.
- To Season: Red Pepper Flakes and Sesame Seeds for garnish, if desired. If you don’t like spice, then omit the red pepper flakes.
How to Make Chicken Stir Fry
- Pan fry chicken: Start by sautéing the chicken in a large skillet. Stir fry until fully cooked, about 6-7 minutes. Take out of the pan and set aside.
- Stir fry vegetables: Add the vegetables to the same pan. Sauté for 3-4 minutes and return the chicken back to the pan.
- Make the sauce: While the veggies are cooking, make the sauce. In a small bowl whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha, fish sauce, sesame oil and red pepper flakes.
- Mix together & serve: Toss the sauce into the pan along with the chicken and veggies. Toss to coat. Once everything is warmed through, serve with sesame seeds for garnish and enjoy!
Tips for Success
- I recommend using low sodium soy sauce in this recipe to keep the sauce from being too salty. If you only have regular soy sauce substitute some of the soy sauce for water.
- Chicken breast or thighs? I’ve made this stir fry recipe with both chicken breasts and chicken thighs and both work great! This is just down to your own personal preference.
- Don’t eat meat? Make this a quick vegetarian meal by omitting the chicken and the fish sauce.
- You can substitute the chicken for beef, shrimp, pork or tofu! This easy stir fry is super versatile, so make it exactly how you like it!
Frequently Asked Questions
What other vegetables are good in stir fry?
Lots of vegetables actually go great with this easy chicken stir fry! You can try adding cauliflower, bell peppers (any color), cabbage or bok choy, broccolini, corn, and zucchini. Classically, stir fry has broccoli, onions and carrots and these are my favorite!
Can I cook my chicken and vegetables at the same time?
I don’t recommend cooking the chicken and vegetables as the same time. The chicken will taste best if you sauté and brown it first, and then cook the veggies. If you cook it all together you could end up with undercooked ingredients.
What to Serve with Stir Fry
- White or brown rice are my favorites to go with this dish!
- For a low carb option try cauliflower rice or quinoa.
- Chow mein noodles
- Lo mein
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Healthier Egg Rolls
Here are more Easy Takeout Inspired Recipes to make at home!
- Authentic Chicken Lo Mein
- Chicken Chow Mein
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Easy Beef Fried Rice
- Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
Easy Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- couple dashes of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- sesame seeds for garnish, if desired
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large skillet and heat over high heat. Add chicken and stir fry until fully cooked, about 6-7 minutes. Take out of the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add onions, broccoli, carrots and mushrooms. Saute for 3-4 minutes until slightly tender. Add in garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce to the pan along with the chicken. Toss to coat the chicken and veggies.
- Serve immediately with sesame seeds for garnish, if desired