Skip the take out and try these Air Fryer Egg Rolls for your next appetizer! You would never know these aren’t deep fried! Crunchy egg roll wrappers are stuffed with cabbage, carrots and mushrooms! These Air Fryer Egg Rolls are veggie loaded and meat free! Plus learn my secret ingredient to make these taste like your favorite restaurant!
Healthier Egg Rolls
Air Fryer Egg Rolls offer all of the flavor of take out, but are so much healthier! I loaded these egg rolls with tons of veggies and air fried the egg rolls versus the typical deep fry. Let me tell you these do not disappoint! If you follow me on instagram you will see we’ve already made these about 4 times since then. We made a breakfast egg roll and a ham and cheese egg roll all in the air fryer. We can’t stop making these they are that good!
The trick to CRISPY egg rolls is turning the air fryer all the way up and spraying both sides of the egg rolls with nonstick cooking spray. The cooking spray acts almost like an egg wash and helps to brown and crisp up the outside. I am telling you no one would know these weren’t deep fried!
The other great thing about these egg rolls is that they are actually super easy to make! My toddler had fun rolling up the egg rolls and brushing water onto the edges. Once you get the hang of rolling them it actually goes pretty fast!
The Secret Ingredient for Authentic Egg Rolls
Chinese 5 Spice Powder!
If this isn’t in your spice cabinet yet you have to add it! It will make your egg rolls taste like they’ve come straight from the restaurant! Chinese 5 spice powder is made up of star anise, fennel seeds, Szechuan peppercorns, cloves, and cinnamon. It’s a distinctive flavor that is always added to authentic egg rolls. Learn more about the origins of Chinese 5 Spice Powder here.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Egg Rolls
For the Egg Rolls
- Egg Roll Wrappers- Typically, you can find these in the produce section near the tofu in the refrigerated section/
- Coleslaw Mix- I used a coleslaw mix that has green cabbage, red cabbage, and shredded carrots. You can replace this with finely chopped cabbage and shredded fresh carrot!
- Celery- Finely chopped celery adds the perfect crunch.
- Green Onions- I add both the white and green parts of the green onions.
- Mushrooms- You can use your favorite type of mushrooms here, and slice them into thin strips.
- Garlic & Ginger- Garlic and ginger are your aromatics for this recipe and add a savory and fresh flavor to the egg roll filling!
For the Sauce
- Chinese 5 Spice Powder- This is my secret ingredient for egg rolls! It will make your egg rolls taste like they’ve come straight from the restaurant!
- Soy Sauce- I use low sodium soy sauce to control the saltiness.
- Honey- Adds a hint of sweetness and rounds out the flavors.
- Oyster Sauce- Oyster sauce is packed with umami flavor! Fish sauce would also work as a replacement.
- Sesame Oil- Adds a nutty flavor to your sauce.
How to Make Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Make the Sauce: Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well. Set aside.
- Make the Filling: Heat oil over medium heat. Add the coleslaw and celery and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Then add the green onions, mushrooms, garlic, and ginger and sauté for 2-3 more minutes or until all of the veggies are tender. Stir in the sauce making sure to coat all of the vegetables.
- Assemble: To assemble egg rolls start by wetting the edges of the egg roll wrapper with water making sure to get all of the sides (not just the corners). Add about 2-3 tablespoons of filling in the center of each egg roll.
- Fold: Fold each side of the wrapper over the filling then roll egg roll away from you.
- Seal: Before rolling all the way to the end brush more water on the edge of the wrapper to help seal the edges.
- Air Fry: Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees. Spray the air fryer rack with nonstick cooking spray. Once preheated add in the egg rolls and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Cook & Flip: Let the egg rolls cook for 6 minutes, then flip the egg rolls and spray again with cooking spray. Cook for another 6 minutes. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Tips for Success
- Luckily, these air fryer egg rolls are pretty hard to mess up. But in order to ensure the best egg rolls, make sure not to overcrowd the air fryer with egg rolls. You want each egg roll to have some space around it in other to really crisp up. If you need to cook them in batches, that is totally fine.
- Make sure to properly seal the egg rolls. By brushing the edges with water and then brushing the final edge again with water, you will ensure that the filling doesn’t come spilling out of the egg rolls!
- For added protein, add some ground chicken or turkey to the filling! You can also add shrimp or even tofu to make the filling more protein packed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I buy egg roll wrappers?
If you have never looked for egg roll wrappers at the store, you are not alone. These wrappers are in a refrigerated section, usually close to the tofu. They are pretty widely available and shouldn’t be too difficult to find!
What should I dip my egg rolls in?
One of the best parts of eating egg rolls is deciding what sauce to dip them in. Our favorites are sweet Thai chili or hot mustard. You could also try a sweet and sour or Gyoza dipping sauce!
Storage and Freezing Instructions
- To store, place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat, pop them in the air fryer or the oven until heated through so that the outside stays crispy!
- To freeze, you can double the recipe and have these on hand for later on! Place the prepped but not yet cooked egg rolls on a baking sheet and freeze for about 1 hour. This will prevent them from sticking together in the freezer. Then, transfer them to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. To cook, place the frozen egg rolls in the air fryer and spray with cooking spray. Air fry at 400 degrees F for about 8 minutes, then flip and cook for another 8 minutes. Add additional minutes if the egg rolls are not heated through.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Fried Rice
- Air Fryer Gochujang Salmon
- Air Fryer Chickpeas
- Air Fryer Vegetables
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Air Fryer Egg Rolls
Skip the take out and try these Air Fryer Egg Rolls for your next appetizer! You would never know these aren't deep fried! Crunchy egg roll wrappers are stuffed with cabbage, carrots and mushrooms! These Air Fryer Egg Rolls are veggie loaded and meat free! Plus learn my secret ingredient to make these taste like your favorite restaurant!
- 6 egg roll wrappers
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, cut into thin strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- water, for sealing edges of egg roll wrappers
- 1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk to combine then set aside.
- Heat oil over medium high heat. Add in coleslaw and celery and saute for 3-4 minutes.Add in mushrooms, green onions, garlic and ginger and saute for 2-3 minutes or until all of the veggies are tender.
- Stir in the sauce making sure to coat all of the vegetables in the sauce.
- To assemble egg rolls start by wetting the edges of the egg roll wrapper with water making sure to get all of the sides (not just the corners).Place 2-3 tablespoons of the filling in the center of each egg roll.
- Fold each side of the wrapper over the filling then roll egg roll away from you.
- Before rolling all the way to the end brush more water on the edge of the wrapper to help seal the edges.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees. Spray the air fryer rack with nonstick cooking spray.Once preheated add in the egg rolls and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Cook for 6 minutes then flip and spray with more non stick cooking spray.Cook for an additional 6 minutes then serve with your favorite dipping sauce!