Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken. Tender, juicy chicken thighs cooked low and slow for 4 hours until tender and smothered in a homemade teriyaki sauce!
I love making my own teriyaki sauce at home. It’s so much easier to control the sweetness and the salt level. I used a similar homemade teriyaki sauce as my Easy Teriyaki Beef Meatballs and my Teriyaki Baked Salmon. The teriyaki sauce consists of soy sauce, honey, fresh ginger and garlic. That’s it! The sauce makes this recipe!
The chicken thighs gets tossed in the homemade teriyaki sauce and cook low and slow in the crockpot for 4 hours until tender. The chicken comes out super juicy and there is lots of sauce leftover which I love to serve over rice or noodles!
How to make Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
This recipe couldn’t be easier. I toss all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook it on low for 4 hours. When the chicken shreds easily that means it is done! To thicken up the sauce I heat it up in a small saucepan along with some cornstarch and cold water. While the sauce is simmering I shred the chicken then toss it all together. Serve with sesame seeds and green onions for garnish!
How to make Teriyaki Sauce
Making your own Teriyaki Sauce at home is super easy! It’s also a great way to control the sweetness and saltiness of the sauce. To make your own teriyaki sauce at home you’ll need:
- Soy sauce: I always use low sodium soy sauce. You can use regular soy sauce with a splash of water to combat some of the saltiness.
- Ginger: I prefer to use fresh grated ginger however ground ginger can be substituted in a pinch.
- Honey: Adds a nice sweetness to the teriyaki sauce. If you like your teriyaki on the sweeter side adjust the honey to taste.
- Rice wine vinegar: This vinegar can be found in the International or Asian isle in the grocery store. It adds the perfect acidity to the sauce.
- Mirin: Has a sweeter flavor which helps combat the saltiness from the soy sauce.
- Sesame oil: Adds a wonderfully nutty flavor to this sauce!
- Cornstarch slurry: 1 teaspoon cornstarch + 1 tablespoon cold water. This thickens up the sauce!
What to serve with Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- I love to serve the chicken with white or brown rice to soak up all the extra sauce. For a low carb option try cauliflower rice.
- Steamed vegetables
- Chow mein noodles
- Lo mein
- Vegetable Fried Rice
Here are more recipes using my Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Easy Chicken Teriyaki
- 20 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp
- Easy Teriyaki Salmon
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken
- Beef Teriyaki Noodles
- Orange Teriyaki Salmon
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- sesame seeds for garnish if desired
- green onions for garnish if desired
- Add the chicken, garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and mirin to your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with two forks.
- Remove the chicken and shred.
- Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a medium saucepan.
- In a small bowl whisk together water and cornstarch.
- Slowly whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and bring to a boil whisking constantly.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
- Toss the shredded chicken into the sauce and stir to coat the chicken in the sauce.
- Serve immediately with sesame seeds and green onions for garnish, if desired.
Originally published April 2, 2018