20 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp. Made with a homemade teriyaki sauce! A super easy meal for a busy weeknight!
This 20 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp is the perfect weeknight meal. It comes together in minutes and is so delicious!
I start by making a quick homemade teriyaki sauce. It’s much easier to make this at home and control the salt and sugar levels. I used the same homemade teriyaki sauce as my Easy Teriyaki Beef Meatballs and my Teriyaki Baked Salmon.
For the homemade teriyaki sauce I combine soy sauce, water, ginger, garlic and brown sugar. The sauce gets nice and thick with a simple cornstarch slurry (1 teaspoon cornstarch + 1 tablespoon cold water).
Serve this 20 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp with a side of steamed veggies and rice to make it a meal! These would also make an awesome appetizer! Enjoy!
20 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ginger, minced
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce (It is important to use low sodium. I find regular makes the sauce too salty)
- ⅛ cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails off or on, if desired
- green onions for garnish, if desired
- sesame seeds for garnish, if desired
- Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, vinegar and sesame oil to a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and water.
- Slowly whisk in the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan.
- Simmer whisking constantly until sauce has thickened up, 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add shrimp and saute until fully cooked.
- Add teriyaki sauce to the shrimp and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.