Easy 20 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp made with a homemade teriyaki sauce. A super easy meal for a busy weeknight! Serve over rice or noodles!
20 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp
This Easy 20 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp is the perfect weeknight meal. It comes together in minutes and is so delicious! This shrimp makes an awesome appetizer or dinner with a side of steamed veggies and rice!
I start by making a quick homemade teriyaki sauce. It’s much easier to make this at home and control the salt and sugar levels. I used the same homemade teriyaki sauce as my Easy Teriyaki Beef Meatballs and my Teriyaki Baked Salmon.
How to make Teriyaki Shrimp
- Make the sauce: Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, vinegar and sesame oil to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes. In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and water. Slowly whisk in the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan. Simmer whisking constantly until sauce has thickened up, 1-2 minutes.
- Saute shrimp: Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add shrimp and saute until fully cooked. Add teriyaki sauce to the shrimp and toss to coat.
- Serve: With green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
How to make Teriyaki Sauce
Making your own Teriyaki Sauce at home is super easy! It’s also a great way to control the sweetness and saltiness of the sauce. To make your own teriyaki sauce at home you’ll need:
- Soy sauce: I always use low sodium soy sauce. You can use regular soy sauce with a splash of water to combat some of the saltiness.
- Ginger: I prefer to use fresh grated ginger however ground ginger can be substituted in a pinch.
- Garlic: I always have to add garlic to all my recipes! I use 1 clove of garlic in my teriyaki sauce however feel free to add more!
- Brown Sugar: Adds a nice sweetness to the teriyaki sauce. If you like your teriyaki on the sweeter side adjust the brown sugar to taste.
- Rice wine vinegar: This vinegar can be found in the International or Asian isle in the grocery store. It adds the perfect acidity to the sauce.
- Sesame oil: Adds a wonderfully nutty flavor to this sauce!
- Cornstarch slurry: 1 teaspoon cornstarch + 1 tablespoon cold water. This thickens up the sauce!
What to serve with this 20 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp
- White or brown rice. For a low carb option try cauliflower rice.
- Steamed vegetables
- Chow mein noodles
- Lo mein
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Beef Fried Rice
- Homemade Chicken Dumplings
- Baked Egg Rolls
Here are more recipes using my Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Easy Chicken Teriyaki
- 20 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp
- Easy Teriyaki Salmon
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken
- Beef Teriyaki Noodles
- Orange Teriyaki Salmon
20 Minute Teriyaki Shrimp
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ginger minced
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce It is important to use low sodium. I find regular makes the sauce too salty
- ⅛ cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar depending on how sweet you like it
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined with tails off or on, if desired
- green onions for garnish if desired
- sesame seeds for garnish if desired
- Add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, vinegar and sesame oil to a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and water.
- Slowly whisk in the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan.
- Simmer whisking constantly until sauce has thickened up, 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add shrimp and saute until fully cooked.
- Add teriyaki sauce to the shrimp and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.