Super Easy Chicken Shawarma. A Mediterranean inspired dish loaded with tons of spices and baked until golden brown!
After my recent trip to Israel I was on a mission to replicate the chicken shawarma I had! Instead of grilling the chicken in bite sized pieces on kabobs like they did in Israel I kept the chicken thighs whole and baked them in the oven. After the chicken bakes I broil them for a few minutes on each side. This helps to get the golden brown char on the chicken similar to grilling.
This dish is so fragrant with tons of spices. The chicken comes out so moist and tender thanks to the marinating.
How to make Chicken Shawarma
Making Chicken Shawarma at home is a lot easier to make than you may think. All you need is a couple minutes of prep time. It all starts with an awesome marinade! A blend of olive oil, lemon juice and lots of spices. The chicken can be marinated overnight or for at least an hour. Once the chicken has marinated I preheat the oven to 425 degrees. A hot oven helps to crisp up the chicken and makes it perfectly golden brown. The last minute of cooking you can turn on the broiler to get some extra crispness and browning.
Can this recipe be made on the grill?
Yes! This recipe can be made on the grill. If you prefer skewer raw chicken then marinade in a ziplock bag or casserole dish. Grill until golden brown and cooked through!
What to serve with Chicken Shawarma
Here are more delicious chicken recipes to try!
- Chicken Katsu
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Caprese
- Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Thighs
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- chopped fresh parsley for serving if desired
- Add chicken to a large ziplock bag along with all of the ingredients except the chopped fresh parsley.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When you are ready to cook preheat oven to 425 F degrees.
- Place chicken in a greased baking dish and bake until golden brown and cooked through. (Mine took about 15 minutes because the chicken was on the thinner side).
- In the last minute or two of cooking switch the oven to Broil. Cook chicken for 1-2 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for a couple of minutes before slicing.
- Top with chopped fresh parsley if desired.
- Serve the chicken in a pita or on top of a salad or over rice!