These crispy oven fried chicken thighs consist of bone-in, skinless chicken thighs that are coated in seasoned panko breadcrumbs and baked until they’re super crispy. They’re so much healthier and just as good as the fried version. Ready in less than one hour!
Oven Fried Chicken Thighs
You don’t need a deep fryer to make crispy chicken at home! These Oven Fried Chicken Thighs come out super crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. You would never know this chicken was made in the oven! Baking the chicken saves on calories and makes this recipe even healthier. To get the crispy breading I start by coating the chicken in all purpose flour, egg then seasoned panko breadcrumbs. Then I bake in a hot oven until golden brown and crispy. Using bone in chicken thighs helps to keep the chicken juicy and tender. You can substitute drumsticks, breasts or tenders if your prefer. Just shorten the cooking time to 20 minutes or so.
Best of all, this recipe can be made in less than an hour! To make this a meal you could bake the chicken on a sheet tray instead of the pan and add veggies or potatoes to make it a one pan sheet meal! Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, squash or baby potatoes would all cook up perfectly alongside the fried chicken!
How To Make Fried Chicken In The Oven
- Preheat oven: To 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Season the chicken: Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper on the chicken thighs and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Set up dredging station: In a small bowl add the flour and set aside. In another small bowl combine the eggs, milk, dijon and hot sauce, set aside. Add breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Bread chicken: Working in a line start by dipping chicken one at a time in the flour, egg, then panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake: Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes or until fully cooked and golden brown.
- Serve: Immediately with your favorite dipping sauces! I love serving the chicken with Spicy Ketchup, Homemade Ranch Dressing or Honey Mustard for dipping!
How To Reheat Fried Chicken In The Oven
- Store: Leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: To reheat the baked fried chicken simply place it back in a 350 degree oven on a baking sheet lined with a wire rack until the internal temperature reach 165 degrees. This ensures it still stays crispy but doesn’t dry out!
- Baked Parmesan Potato Wedges
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Mashed Potatoes
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Corn Bread
- Baked Beans
- Pasta Salad
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I cook oven-fried chicken?
- Bone in chicken thighs: Take about 40-45 minutes in the oven depending on the size or until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165.
- Chicken breasts: 20-25 minutes depending on the size or until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165.
- Boneless chicken thighs: Take about 30 minutes in the oven or until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165.
- Drumsticks: About 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165.
How can I achieve crispy fried chicken by baking it in the oven?
- High heat: I turn the oven up to 400 degrees. This helps the chicken cook fast and helps the breading get golden brown.
- Removing the skin: Using skinless bone in chicken thighs helps ensure the breading will stick onto the chicken and keeps the chicken from being too greasy.
- Panko breadcrumbs: Add the perfect amount of crunch and brown up beautifully!
More Chicken Recipes
- Easy Chicken Katsu
- Baked Teriyaki Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Caprese
- Easy Chicken Marsala
- Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs bone in and skin off
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper on the chicken thighs tossing to coat. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add the flour, set aside.
- In another small bowl combine the eggs, milk, dijon and hot sauce, set aside.
- Add breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Working in a line start by dipping chicken one at a time in the flour, egg, then panko breadcrumbs.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes or until fully cooked and golden brown.Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauces!
Originally published December 17, 2018.