The BEST Cornbread made with brown butter and buttermilk for a super moist and flavorful cornbread! Serve with a drizzle of honey and butter!
This cornbread is super moist and tender thanks to the buttermilk. I also add in browned butter to add a rich nutty flavor to the cornbread.
If you don’t have buttermilk you can make your own using 1 cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice.
While I make the batter I place my pan in the oven to preheat. Adding the batter to a hot pan helps creates super crispy edges (which are my favorite part!)
The cornbread is best served warm with butter and a drizzle of honey.
The BEST Cornbread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a 8 x 8 baking dish in the oven to heat up while you are preparing the rest of your ingredients.
- Add butter to a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until light brown / caramel in color. 5-10 minutes. Make sure to keep and eye on it so butter does not burn. It also helps to use a light colored saucepan for this. Allow the butter to cool while you are working on the rest of your ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl combine honey, buttermilk, eggs and cooled brown butter.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined (do not over mix).
- Remove the pan form the oven and add in 1 tablespoon of butter. Swirl the pan to coat the edges.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place back in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.