Slow Cooker Tortellini Sausage and Kale Soup. Loaded with fire roasted tomatoes, kale, Italian sausage and cheese tortellini. This Crockpot Tortellini and Sausage Soup is cooked low and slow for 6 hours to develop lots of flavor! All you need is 10 minutes of prep time.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Slow Cooker Tortellini Sausage and Kale Soup
I love eating soup in the colder months. This Slow Cooker Tortellini Sausage and Kale Soup is one of my favorites! Spicy Italian Sausage, cheesy tortellini and kale simmered in an Italian based broth. It’s hearty, filling and perfect for those cold winter days.
I cook the soup on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. I like to let this soup cook low and slow to allow the flavors to develop.
For the base of the soup I used fire roasted garlic diced tomatoes, chicken broth, diced onions and fresh garlic. For an extra kick I added in some crushed red peppers flakes. I also like using hot Italian sausage instead of sweet for some added heat.
How to make Tortellini Sausage and Kale Soup
Add sausage, garlic, onion, tomatoes, chicken broth, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and crushed red pepper flakes to a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. 30 minutes before serving stir in the frozen tortellini and kale. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add in more crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Serve immediately with parmesan cheese for serving.
What to serve with Slow Cooker Tortellini Sausage and Kale Soup
- Easy Focaccia Bread
- One Hour Dinner Rolls
- Grilled Cheese
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Pasta: In place of the cheese tortellini you can use orzo, penne or your favorite type of pasta.
- Vegetarian: This recipe can be made vegetarian by omitting the sausage and by using vegetable broth.
- Vegetables: Feel free to sneak extra veggies in this soup. Diced carrots and celery would be awesome in this!
- Meat: Chicken thighs can be used in place of the sausage.
Can you freeze this soup?
This soup does freeze well. If you are planning to freeze the soup I would suggest cooking the tortellini separately and freezing the broth in an airtight container. When you are ready to serve reheat the soup on the stove top and serve with cooked tortellini, noodles or rice!
Can this be made in the instant pot?
Yes! If you are short on time you can make this soup in under 30 minutes in the Instant Pot! Start by selecting the SAUTE option. Add the sausage and onions and cook until golden brown. Next add in the garlic and cook for 1 minutes. Add in the rest of the ingredients (except for the tortellini and kale) and set the Instant Pot to MANUAL. Cover and cook for 8 minutes. Allow the steam to naturally release then add in the tortellini. Select the SAUTE option and add in the tortellini and kale. Cook until the tortellinis are tender and warmed and the kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Can this be made on the stovetop?
Yes! Simply heat a bit of olive oil in a large pot and add in the sausage and onions. Cook until golden brown and caramelized. Add in the garlic and cook for a minute or so. Next add in the rest of the ingredients (except for the tortellini and kale). Simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. Add the tortellini and kale to the soup and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through then serve!
- I like to use refrigerated cheese tortellini however frozen tortellini can be used just make sure to add a couple extra minutes to the cooking time.
- The tortellini tends to soak up some of the liquid when it’s refrigerated. When you reheat the soup make sure to add some more chicken broth.
Here are more soup recipes to enjoy!
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Italian Meatball Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Best Tomato Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Tortellini Sausage and Kale Soup
- 2 links of sausage, mild or spicy (still frozen makes it easier to cut)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 14.5 ounce cans, fire roasted garlic diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound frozen cheese tortellini, no need to thaw
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- parmesan cheese for serving, if desired
- Add sausage, garlic, onion, tomatoes, chicken broth, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and crushed red pepper flakes to a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. 30 minutes before serving stir in the frozen tortellini and kale.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add in more crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Serve immediately with parmesan cheese for serving.