This Easy 20 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is a comforting, flavorful, and filling. Topped with crunchy tortilla strips, fresh cilantro, and creamy avocado, it makes for a delicious and fast weeknight dinner. Great for meal-prepping and make-ahead meals, too!
Nothing Beats A Bowl of Hot, Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup!
We are in the midst of soup season, and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve been eating soup almost every other night. From my Lasagna Soup and Stuffed Pepper Soup to my Turkey Meatball Vegetable Soup and Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup, I just can’t get enough of it.
This quick and easy chicken tortilla soup is loaded with all of my favorite Mexican-inspired ingredients — cilantro, lime juice, avocado, tortilla chips, and, of course, the ultra-flavorful tomatoey broth. It’s slightly spicy and full of flavor!
There is very little prep time for this recipe. With pre-shredded cooked chicken, it takes less than 10 minutes to put together and only 10 minutes to cook.
This soup tastes just like a taco or enchilada — full of Mexican flavor, incredibly hearty, and comforting!
The base of this soup is a blend of enchilada sauce, crushed tomatoes, and chicken broth. Then, veggies including black beans, sweet corn, diced onion, and minced garlic are also added. Cilantro and lime juice are mixed in at the end. Top your soup with extra cilantro, avocado, and crispy tortilla strips before serving. Shredded cheese, sour cream, or crema would also go great with this!
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup can be made in one pot! Simply sauté onions and garlic in oil. Then, add in broth, enchilada sauce and crushed tomatoes. Next, stir in your seasoning and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, and then take off of the heat. Stir in pre-cooked chicken, cilantro, and lime juice. Allow the chicken to warm up in the hot soup, and serve immediately. Garnish with extra cilantro, avocado, and tortilla strips before serving.
Cooking the chicken ahead of time saves a lot of time on prep. Cook and shred the chicken the night before. You could also use leftover rotisserie chicken or turkey for a quick substitute.
Additionally, I like to double this recipe and freeze any extra to have on hand for busy weeknight meals. It will keep in the freezer for 6 months and in the fridge for 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a small pot on the stove over medium heat before serving.
- Add more veggies to make this homemade tortilla soup even more filling! Sliced peppers, squash, or carrots would be delicious!
- Swap the shredded chicken for shredded turkey, shredded beef, shredded pork, ground chicken, ground turkey, or ground beef.
- Make it vegetarian by using tofu or omitting the meat entirely.
- Take it a step further and make it vegan by using veggie broth.
- Add some freshly grated mozzarella cheese to the bottom of your bowl before ladling the hot soup on top to make it melted and creamy.
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
- Store cooled, leftover chicken tortilla soup in an airtight container or plastic bag in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze cooled soup in a freezer-safe airtight container or plastic bag for up to 6 months.
- Reheat frozen or thawed soup in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop until warmed through and simmering.
More Delicious Soup Recipes To Try
- Italian Ham and White Bean Orzo Soup
- Thai Coconut Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Spinach Soup with Greek Yogurt
- Italian Meatball Soup
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Easy 20 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 10 ounce can enchilada sauce (medium)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded chicken breasts cooked
- 1 tablespoon lime juice about half of a lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- avocado for garnish if desired
- tortilla strips for garnish if desired
- cilantro for garnish if desired
- Add oil to a large saucepan.
- Add in onion and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth, enchilada sauce, crushed tomatoes, black beans, corn, cumin, paprika and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in precooked shredded chicken and warm through.
- Take off of the heat and add in lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve immediately and garnish with avocado, tortilla strips or cilantro if desired.