This Easy 20 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup is a comforting, flavorful and fast weeknight dinner. Top with tortilla strips, cilantro and avocado!
This tortilla soup is loaded with all of my favorite Mexican flavors. Cilantro, lime juice, avocado and tortilla chips. Slightly spicy and full of flavor.
There is very little prep time for this recipe. With pre-shredded cooked chicken this recipe takes less than 10 minutes to put together and 10 minutes to cook.
The base of this soup is a blend of enchilada sauce, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Black beans, corn, onions and garlic are also added. Cilantro and lime juice get added at the end. Top your soup with extra cilantro, avocado, and tortilla strips. Cheese or sour cream would also go great with this.
I like to double this recipe and freeze any extra to have on hand for busy weeknight meals.
Cooking the chicken ahead of time saves a lot of time on prep. Cook and shred the chicken the night before. You could also use leftover rotisserie chicken or turkey for a quick substitute.
This soup can be made in one pot. Simply saute onions and garlic in oil. Add in broth, enchilada sauce and crushed tomatoes. Stir in your seasoning and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes and then take off of the heat. Stir in pre-cooked chicken, cilantro and lime juice. Allow the chicken to warm up in the hot soup and serve immediately. Garnish with extra cilantro.
Easy 20 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 10 ounce can enchilada sauce (medium)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded chicken breasts cooked
- 1 tablespoon lime juice about half of a lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- avocado for garnish if desired
- tortilla strips for garnish if desired
- cilantro for garnish if desired
- Add oil to a large saucepan.
- Add in onion and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth, enchilada sauce, crushed tomatoes, black beans, corn, cumin, paprika and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in precooked shredded chicken and warm through.
- Take off of the heat and add in lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve immediately and garnish with avocado, tortilla strips or cilantro if desired.
Original recipe from chefsavvy.com. Please do not publish my recipe or pictures without linking back to the original post. Thank you!