This White Chicken Chili is creamy, spicy, rich, and filling. The definition of comfort food! Loaded with ingredients like shredded chicken, diced green chiles, cannellini beans, and lime juice, this dish is sure to be a hit at the family table. Plus, you can have fun with the toppings! I like shredded cheese, avocado slices, a lime wedge, and tortilla chips.
Homemade White Chicken Chili
By now, you probably know that I love chili. I’ve perfected how to make it in the slow cooker. I’ve made it with quinoa. I’ve made it with ground turkey. I’d be hard pressed to find chili I haven’t tried! And this one is a new staple for my arsenal of chili recipes.
If you’re looking for creamy, savory, stick-to-your-bones good comfort food, then you’ve found it! This White Chicken Chili is one of my all-time favorite soup recipes. (And that’s saying a lot. I love soup!) Chili is one of my favorite meals to make because it’s easy, delicious every time, and makes a ton to eat throughout the week or freeze for later. But tomato-based chili can sometimes give people heartburn or be too heavy on the red meat and beans. This lighter, chicken-based version is a great alternative to add to your monthly dinner rotation. Plus, it freezes beautifully and is perfect for meal-prepping!
This White Chicken Chili recipe is comprised of many typical chili ingredients, but with the addition of a lighter broth base and no tomatoes. To make it at home, you’ll need:
- Olive oil (or another light-tasting oil like avocado; avoid using butter)
- A large yellow or white onion (any type but red, really)
- One jalapeño, seeded and diced
- Four garlic cloves, minced
- Four cups of chicken broth (I like to make my own, but store-bought is fine. Just opt for low-sodium.)
- Two 4-oz. cans of diced green chilies
- Chili powder
- One block of cream cheese, softened at room temp
- Corn (Fresh, canned or frozen will work.)
- Lime juice
- Two 15-oz cans of cannellini beans (Could also use another white bean like navy.)
- Two and a half cups shredded chicken
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
TIP: You can substitute the shredded chicken for ground chicken or ground turkey, if you like!
How To Make White Chili with Chicken
- Cook the Veggies: Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and jalapeño, and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for an additional minute, until fragrant.
- Build the Creamy Base: This soup gets its creaminess from the cream cheese and another unlikely source … pureed cannellini beans! Add 1 cup of cannellini beans and a splash of chicken broth to a food processor or blender. Pulse until creamy and smooth, and set aside.
- Add Remaining Ingredients: Add chicken broth, green chilies, cumin, oregano, chili powder, pureed beans, and remaining whole beans to the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes, uncovered. Stir in cream cheese, and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Serve: Take off the heat and add in lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- Homemade tortilla chips
- Shredded Mexican, pepper jack, or sharp cheddar cheese
- Diced white onion
- Homemade pico de gallo
- Fresh guacamole
- Diced chipotle in adobo
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze cooled chili in a freezer-safe, airtight container or plastic bag for up to 3 months.
- Reheat thawed chili in a large pot on the stove over medium-low heat until simmering and warmed-through. You can also microwave leftovers for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through.
More Soup Recipes To Try
If you enjoyed this White Chicken Chili, then you’ll love my other soup recipes perfect for chilly weather:
- Lasagna Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Thai Coconut Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
White Chicken Chili
Loaded with fresh ingredients (and no tomatoes), this White Chicken Chili recipe is delicious and easy to make any night of the week!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 4 ounce cans diced green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 15 ounce cans cannellini beans
- 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped cilantro
- sliced avocado
- tortilla chips
- shredded Mexican cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in onion and jalapeno and saute until tender, 4 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add 1 cup of cannellini beans and a splash of chicken broth to a food processor or blender. Pulse until creamy and smooth.
- Add chicken broth, green chilies, cumin, oregano, chili powder, corn, cooked shredded chicken, pureed beans as well as the rest of the whole beans to the pot.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes uncovered. Stir in cream cheese and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes. (If your cream cheese is not mixing in use a whisk and stir frequently)
- Take off the heat and add in lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with your favorite toppings and enjoy!