Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili made with black beans, kidney beans, corn and lots of spices. Hearty, thick, filling and full of flavor! The really is the BEST turkey chili made healthier and in the slow cooker!
Looking for more Slow Cooker Soup Recipes? Then try my Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup or my Copycat Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup.
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
When I think of comfort food I can’t help but think of Chili. It’s hearty, warm and loaded with so much flavor. Sitting down to a large bowl of chili is one of my favorite things to do in the Fall and Winter!
This recipe is similar to my original crockpot chili recipe however I lightened it up a bit using lean ground turkey and adding a lot more veggies and beans! It’s loaded with fiber and protein thanks to the black beans and kidney beans! This recipe can easily be made into a vegetarian chili. Simply omit the ground turkey and swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth. That’s it!
Serve this healthy chili with a side of corn muffins or a crusty dinner roll to dip! Hope you guys enjoy this chili as much as my family does!
Key Chili Ingredients
- Lean Ground Turkey: Feel free to use ground chicken or beef instead. To keep this chili lighter make sure to use 93% ground beef and make sure to drain the beef after browning.
- Beans: I use both black beans and red kidney beans in my chili. You could also use pinto beans as well. Black beans, kidney and pinto all hold their shape well when slow cooking making them a good choice for using them in this crockpot chili.
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes: Add another layer of flavor to this chili. Fire roasted tomatoes are roasted over a flame before being canned giving them a smokier flavor then traditional diced tomatoes.
- Green Chilies: Are more sweet and vinegary than they are spicy so don’t worry about them making this chili too spicy.
- Spices: Chili powder, ground cumin, paprika and canned chipotles in adobo are added for tons of flavor! The chipotles in adobo give the chili a nice smokey flavor!
How to make Healthy Turkey Chili
Heat a large skillet with olive oil. Add in ground turkey and cook until browned and no longer pink.
Add the turkey to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients (except for toppings)
Cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 4 hours, until the soup is cooked through.
Serve warm with the suggested toppings above! My favorite way to serve this chili is with tortilla chips, lots of shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and hot sauce!
- Make it on the stovetop. Simply brown beef then add in the onions, garlic and seasoning. Brown then add in the beans, tomatoes and stock. Simmer for 15 minutes then voila your chili is done!
- Change up the beans! Pinto beans can be used in place of the kidney beans or black beans. You could also just do all black beans too!
- Make this chili even healthier with more veggies! Diced bell pepper, zucchini or carrots would all be delicious in this chili.
- Make it vegetarian. You can omit the ground turkey and chicken stock to keep the chili vegetarian. I love adding quinoa to my vegetarian chili!
I love to serve this easy turkey chili with my Easy Homemade Cornbread. They go perfectly together!
I think my favorite part of chili is loading up my bowl with as many toppings as possible! If you are serving this crockpot chili for guests its fun to make a chili bar with lot’s of topping options for each guest to customize their perfect bowl of chili!
- Green Onions
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Diced Red Onion
- Tortilla Chips
- Diced Avocado
- Hot Sauce
Can you freeze this Slow Cooker Turkey Chili?
Yes! This is the best turkey chili! It makes tons of leftovers and is freezer friendly! Simply freeze leftovers in a ziplock bag and store for up to 3 months. Alternatively you can freeze everything uncooked and take it out of the freezer and put it straight into the slow cooker when you want a quick and easy meal!
Can this be made in the Instant Pot?
Yes! Simply brown the turkey on the saute option then add the rest of the ingredients and pressure cook for 18-20 minutes. That’s it! Perfect for when you want a healthy dinner on the table in under 30 minutes!
Here are more Slow Cooker recipes to enjoy!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Tortellini Sausage and Kale Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Easy Slow Cooker Chili
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 14.5 ounce cans fire roasted garlic diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (no need to thaw)
- 1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 whole chipotles in adobo diced (can add some sauce too for some more heat)
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- green onions, cilantro or parsley
- tortilla chips
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil. Add in ground turkey and cook until browned and no longer pink.
- Add the turkey to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients (except for toppings)
- Cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 4 hours, until the soup is cooked through.
- Serve warm with the suggested toppings above!