Slow Cooker Chili simmered low and slow for 4 hours! A quick and easy make ahead meal that makes tons of leftovers!
I absolutely love chili. It’s super hearty, meaty, rich and thick. It’s the ultimate comfort food. Perfect for lazy fall days. Chili is even better in a slow cooker. This recipe takes little to no effort and tastes amazing. Cooking it low and slow really allows the flavor to develop and the chili to thicken.
I used two different types of beans in this chili: black beans and dark red kidney beans. I add them in about 30 minutes before serving to heat them through. This ensures they are still nice and firm and aren’t mushy.
This chili is super easy to throw together and only takes 10 minutes of prep time. I like to brown my ground beef and onion in a skillet before adding it to the slow cooker for extra flavor. Throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to an awesome home cooked meal.
For a little kick I added some chipotle chili powder. You can also use some chilies in adobo if you have that on hand.
This recipe makes enough to serve 6-8 people and always leaves tons of leftovers. The perfect meal for busy weeknights or Sunday dinner.
Serve with shredded Mexican cheese, green onions, tortilla strips, sour cream and enjoy!
Love this Slow Cooker Chili? Here are some more slow cooker recipes to try!
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Asian Sesame Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce
Slow Cooker Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder (you can substitute chilies in adobo sauce as well. Add to taste)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- green onions
- tortilla chips
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil.
- Add in ground beef and onion. Cook until meat is browned and no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
- Add the ground beef and onion mixture to a slow cooker.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except the beans.
- Cook the chili on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. 30 minutes before serving add in the beans.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings!