Homemade Spanish Rice
It’s easy to make authentic restaurant style Spanish rice at home! All you need is a few pantry staples, one pot and 35 minutes! Spanish Rice also known as Mexican Rice is an easy side dish that goes perfectly with tacos, burritos and enchiladas. For me I can’t have tacos without beans and rice.
This Authentic Spanish Rice recipe is super flavorful thanks to the chicken broth, spices, onions and garlic. I like to toast the rice in butter before adding in the onion and garlic. It adds so much more flavor to this dish. It also helps to create a fluffy rice and keeps it from getting soggy or mushy.
One of the best things about this Spanish rice recipe is how easy it is to make. All of the ingredients are pantry staples that you always have on hand. It also is made in one pot and only takes 35 minutes to make!
Add shredded chicken, grilled shrimp, fish or beef to make this a one pot meal. You can also make it vegetarian and keep it as is (just make sure to substitute vegetable stock for chicken stock).
- Butter: Or your favorite cooking oil will work! We just need something to brown the rice, onions and garlic.
- Rice: Long grain white rice works perfectly for this easy spanish rice recipe. You can use brown rice or cauliflower rice to lighten it up. Just make sure that if you are using brown rice to add more liquid and additional cooking time.
- Onion + Garlic: Add so much flavor to the rice. Substitute onion and garlic powder if you can’t find fresh.
- Chicken Stock: I prefer to use low sodium chicken stock. If you do not have chicken stock you can substitute water or vegetable stock.
- Diced Tomatoes: I like using fire roasted tomatoes. You can use whatever kind of tomatoes you have on hand. Crushed tomatoes, salsa, tomato sauce or tomato paste can be used instead! If using tomato sauce I would use 1 (8 ounce can). For tomato paste I would use 1 tablespoon.
- Spices: Bay leaves, cumin, chili powder and dried oregano are added. For a kick add more chili powder or cayenne.
How to make Spanish Rice
- Saute rice and onions: Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and melt butter. Add in rice and cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently, 2-3 minutes. Add in onion and saute for 2-3 more minutes, stirring frequently or until slightly golden brown.
- Add in spices: Garlic, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Saute for one minute.
- Simmer: Pour in the chicken stock, fire roasted tomatoes and bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender. (Refer to the back of your rice, some cook times are shorter or longer depending on what rice you choose)
- Serve: When the rice is done fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately!
- Store: In the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Substitute rice: White or brown rice can be used. This is also great with leftover pre cooked rice! You can make this recipe lower carb by using riced cauliflower to make Spanish cauliflower rice.
- Spanish chicken and rice: Make this a one pot meal and add in some shredded chicken.
- Spanish rice and beans: I love adding either drained black beans or pinto beans to this rice.
- Make it spicier: For heat add in diced jalapeno with the onion. You can also add in a pinch of cayenne.
- Vegetarian: Substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock to make this easy Spanish rice vegetarian!
Can Spanish Rice be frozen?
Yes! Store cooked rice in a Ziplock bag and make sure to get out as much air as possible. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months! When you are ready to eat simply thaw overnight in the fridge or on the counter for a few hours. Warm up in the microwave or skillet with extra chicken stock to keep the rice from drying out.
Optional Toppings for Rice
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Diced avocado
- Sour cream or greek yogurt
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Diced red onion
- Black olives
What to serve with enchilada rice
- Shredded Mexican Chicken
- Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Instant Pot Carnitas
- Slow Cooker Mexican Beef
- Barbacoa Beef
- Blackened Salmon
- Refried Black Beans
- Pico de gallo
- Homemade tortilla chips
- Mexican Kale Salad
Here are more Easy Rice Recipes to make!
- One Pan Enchilada Rice
- Healthy Cilantro Lime Rice
- Lemon Parmesan Brown Rice
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- The BEST Fried Rice
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 15.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and melt butter.
Add in rice and cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently, 2-3 minutes.
Add in onion and saute for 2-3 more minutes, stirring frequently or until slightly golden brown.
Add in garlic, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Saute for one minute.
Pour in the chicken stock, fire roasted tomatoes and bay leaf.
Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender. (Refer to the back of your rice, some cook times are shorter or longer depending on what rice you choose)
When the rice is done fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately!