This easy Mexican Cauliflower Rice recipe is naturally gluten-free, low carb, keto and packed with tons of veggies AND flavor. It’s the perfect side dish for your Taco Tuesday or for meal-prepping ahead of a busy week!
Mexican Style Cauliflower Rice
Are you looking for new, tasty healthy recipes to make at home? Then you need to add this easy Mexican cauliflower rice recipe to your repertoire!
This cauliflower rice recipe is naturally gluten-free, vegetarian– (and vegan-) friendly, and Whole30-compliant. It’s packed with vibrant flavors like cumin, oregano, chili powder, and cilantro, as well as fresh and canned veggies.
I used my popular Spanish Rice as the base for this recipe. The only thing I really changed was not adding any chicken stock (cauliflower rice doesn’t need it) and I bumped up the garlic. Everything else is the same! This cauliflower rice is just as satisfying as traditional Mexican rice.
Love cauliflower rice? Then you’ve got to try my easy cauliflower fried rice recipe!
- Cauliflower: I made my own cauliflower “rice” by breaking apart one medium-sized head of cauliflower and pulsing it in batches in a food processor until it was the texture of dry rice. However, you could also use fresh or frozen store-bought cauliflower rice to make this Mexican cauliflower rice recipe even easier to throw together! Just make sure to read the ingredients label to ensure there’s no added sugar or flavors.
- Veggies: One of the main reasons I love this homemade Mexican cauliflower rice recipe is because it’s packed with vegetables! In addition to the cauliflower, I added garlic, onion, and canned roasted tomatoes, but you could add any other veggies you like. This recipe is a great way to clean out the fridge!
- Spices: Similar to real rice, cauliflower rice takes on whatever you season it with. For this Mexican cauliflower rice recipe, I stuck with classic Mexican-inspired spices like cumin, oregano, chili powder, and cumin. But you can use any seasonings you prefer!
How To Make Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once it’s shiny and heated, add the onion and cauliflower. Sauté for 4 minutes, or until the cauliflower and onion just start to get tender and develop some color on them.
- Next, add the garlic, and cook for an additional minute until fragrant. Reduce the heat to medium and add the spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring frequently to help them bloom and develop.
- Then, add the tomatoes along with the juices, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook until the liquid has evaporated. Serve immediately with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Spice it up with some diced jalapeños, cayenne pepper, or crushed red pepper flakes!
- Add some chicken, steak, salmon, shrimp, or tofu to this homemade Mexican cauliflower rice recipe a more complete meal!
- Or add more veggies like riced broccoli, frozen field peas, diced carrots, bell peppers or diced celery.
- Shrimp Tostadas with Avocado Cream
- Mexican Stuffed Shells
- Huevos Rancheros
- Loaded Mexican Sweet Potato Skins
- Slow Cooker Mexican Beef
- Mexican Salmon Salad
How to store Mexican Cauliflower Rice
Store any cooled, leftover Mexican cauliflower rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. It’s perfect for meal-prepping ahead of a busy week!
You can freeze this homemade cauliflower rice, but be warned that the texture will change and become softer during the thawing and reheating process.
More Vegetarian Recipes To Try
- Zucchini Noodle Stir Fry
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Rainbow Vegetable Stir Fry
- Homemade Pad Thai
- Zucchini Noodles with Blistered Tomatoes and Pesto
- Rainbow Vegetable Spring Rolls
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Mexican Cauliflower Rice
This easy Mexican Cauliflower Rice recipe is naturally gluten-free, low carb, keto and packed with tons of veggies AND flavor. It's the perfect side dish for your Taco Tuesday or for meal-prepping ahead of a busy week!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, riced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 15.5 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes, with juices
- salt and pepper
- fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat oil n a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in onion and cauliflower and saute for 4 minutes over medium high heat or until the cauliflower and onion just start to get tender and develop some color on them. Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add in tomatoes along with the juices and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.Serve immediatly with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired.