This Slow Cooker Mexican Beef is loaded with flavor and is incredibly tender! I flavor the chuck roast with fire roasted diced tomatoes, beef broth, lime juice and spices. It is the perfect topping for tacos, enchiladas, burritos you name it! It’s super easy to prepare and makes for an easy dinner.
Homemade Mexican Shredded Beef
When that craving for Mexican restaurant-style shredded beef hits, this is the recipe you should turn to. Budget-friendly chuck roast is seasoned with simple ingredients like lime juice, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder before being placed in the crock pot to cook on low for a solid eight hours. Forget sweating over a hot stove. Let your slow cooker do the work for you!
This recipe is perfect for meal-prepping because you can get several different meals out of one batch-cooking session. I love to use this shredded beef in traditional tacos, quesadillas, and enchiladas, but you can also serve it as is with some rice or cauliflower rice and roasted veggies on the side.
This Crock Pot Shredded Beef recipe is as simple as it gets. All you need is one medium-sized chuck roast, beef broth, canned fire-roasted tomatoes, fresh lime juice, a large onion, and dry seasonings like onion powder, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. That’s it!
How to Make Mexican Shredded Beef in the Slow Cooker
I start by adding everything to the slow cooker including the beef. I cook the beef on low for 8 hours until it’s fall-apart tender. After the beef is done cooking, I remove it from the slow cooker and shred it. Then, I pour the juices from the slow cooker on top of the meat and let it rest for 10-15 minutes. This allows the meat to reabsorb all of those juices and flavor. It also keeps the beef super moist and tender.
Just like my Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef, you can crisp up the beef in the oven under the broiler. This is totally optional. I think the extra step of broiling is totally worth it. It is also a good way to reheat the shredded beef for leftovers! This yields a crispy outer layer while leaving the inside juicy and tender. (Think carnitas.)
TIP: Remove and large pieces of fat from the cooked chuck roast as you shred it, but leave smaller pieces for flavor and to crisp up under the broiler.
This recipe focuses on the beef with the addition of onions and tomatoes, but you can add more veggies, if you like. Bell peppers, jalapeños, or poblanos would work well here. If you’re looking for more heat, amp up the chili powder or add some crushed red pepper flakes.
What Can You Make with Shredded Beef?
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
- Store leftover Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze cooled beef in a freezer-safe, airtight container or plastic bag for up to 3 months. This Mexican beef makes a great freezer meal!
- Reheat thawed leftover shredded beef under your broiler for 10 minutes or so until warmed through and crispy.
Side Dishes to Serve with Mexican Shredded Beef
- Refried Black Beans
- Spanish Rice
- Pico de gallo
- Homemade tortilla chips
- Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- Creamy Mexican Corn Salad
- Mexican Kale Salad
- Avocado Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- You can even serve it with cauliflower rice for a low carb option!
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
If you enjoyed this Slow Cooker Mexican Beef, then you’ll love these other crock pot beef recipes:
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Easy Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- The BEST Slow Cooker Korean Beef
- Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Stew
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
Slow Cooker Mexican Beef
Super Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Beef. Cooked low and slow for 8 hours until fall apart tender! Serve in tacos, burritos or enchiladas!
- 2-3 pound chuck roast
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can 15.5 ounce fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 whole lime juiced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Season the chuck roast with salt and pepper. Add it to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until the beef is tender and shreds easily.
- Take the beef out of the slow cooker and shred. Pour some juice ontop and allow it to rest and soak up the extra juice.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cilantro and lime wedges for serving, if desired.
- Optional: If you would like to crisp up the beef place it on a baking sheet in a single layer with some of the liquid from the slow cooker. Broil for 5 minutes toss and broil some more until crispy.