Homemade Tortilla Chips are super easy to make at home and taste so much better than store bought tortilla chips. All you need is 3 ingredients to made these restaurant quality tortilla chips from scratch! Step by step instructions included below!
I have also included instructions for Baking or Air Frying these tortilla chips!
I love making my own homemade tortilla chips from scratch! They taste so much better than store bought and are super easy to make. The first time I made tortilla chips at home I was shocked at how similar they tasted to the chips that you get at Mexican Restaurants. They are perfectly crispy, crunchy and are AMAZING when they are warm fresh out of the oil.
Best of all you only need 3 ingredients! I’ve included instructions for frying, baking and air frying below! Now you just have to choose which method you prefer!
- Corn tortillas: I like to use the 6 inch corn tortillas. You can use either white, yellow or blue corn tortillas.
- Oil: Peanut, soy bean, canola or vegetable oil would all work! We usually use whatever one of these we have on hand.
- Salt: The best thing about making these at home is that you can season the chips to your taste. I like using a coarse salt like kosher salt or flaky sea salt. It is important to add the salt as soon as the tortilla chips come out of the oil. This helps the salt to adhere to the chip.
How to make homemade tortilla chips
Start by cutting a stack of corn tortillas into 6 wedges. Next heat canola oil to 350 F in a large dutch oven.
When oil is ready add in tortilla chips making sure not to crowd the pan (tortillas will stick together). The tortillas take about 1 to 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Take out tortilla chips and place on paper towels. Season with salt immediately. The salt sticks to the tortillas better when they are still hot straight out of the oil. Allow to cool for one or two minutes and enjoy!
How to bake homemade tortilla chips
If you are looking for a healthier option with a lot less oil baking these tortilla chips turns out great! Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss tortilla chips in about 1 tablespoon of oil or spray with olive oil spray. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes toss then bake for 5-10 more minutes or until crispy.
How to make tortilla chips in the air fryer
Another low carb way to make crispy tortilla chips is in the air fryer! They turn out super crispy just like the fried version! To make these tortilla chips start by preheating the air fryer to 350 degrees. Spray the tortilla chips with olive oil spray then place them in a single layer in the air fryer. Set the air fryer for 2-3 minutes flip and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes or until crispy!
What to serve with homemade corn tortilla chips
Tips for making Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Fry in batches: This helps the tortilla chips cook more evenly and keeps them from sticking together.
- Use a thermometer: (We like this one!) To help keep the oil at 350 degrees. If the oil is too hot it will cause the tortillas to cook too quickly and burn and too low of a heat will cause the tortilla chips to be greasy and chewy.
- Season immediately: This is a crucial step for ensuring the chips are properly seasoned. Sprinkle salt onto the chips as soon as they come out of the hot oil.
- Add other seasonings: Why stop at just salt? Add a sprinkle of tajin seasoning, cajun seasoning, ranch, zatar, or just a sprinkle of garlic or chili powder for an extra kick!
How long will these keep?
Tortillas chips stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Here are more Snack Recipes to try!
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to leave a review! This helps other readers and my website! I love to hear your feedback!
How to make homemade tortilla chips
Homemade Tortilla Chips are super easy to make at home and taste so much better than store bought tortilla chips. All you need is 3 ingredients to made these homemade tortilla chips from scratch!
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil or vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- kosher salt
- Stack up the tortillas and cut into 6 wedges.
- Heat oil 350F degrees in a large cast iron pan. When oil is ready add in tortilla chips making sure not to crowd the pan (tortillas will stick together). The tortillas take about 1 to 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Take out tortilla chips and place on paper towels. Season with salt immediately. Allow to cool for one or two minutes and enjoy!