Easy Black Bean Corn Salsa is perfect as an appetizer or snack! Loaded with black beans, corn, avocado, and tomato, it’s ready in just 15 minutes this chunky salsa recipe goes with and on everything. Serve this healthy dish at your next party or get-together!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
This salsa is fresh and healthy with a mixture of avocado, tomatoes, black beans, red bell pepper, and corn. It’s dressed with freshly squeezed lime juice and extra virgin olive oil. It is the perfect side dish to bring to potlucks, barbecues, or parties! It goes perfectly along side grilled chicken or grilled salmon!
I also add in jalapeños and red onion for a little spice. Once all of my ingredients are prepped I toss everything together in one large bowl. I find the longer this salsa sits in the refrigerator the better it tastes! This helps the flavors to develop. I like to let it sit for at least 30 minutes or overnight! I love making this the day before. Just wait to add the avocado until you are ready to serve the salsa. Here’s what you’ll need:
Ingredients for Black Bean Corn Salsa
- Cherry Tomatoes: Fresh cherry tomatoes are my favorite! They’re tart but can also be super sweet and flavorful at the same time. Any kind of tomatoes will work in this recipe though, for example, Roma or vine-ripened.
- Black Beans: Canned black beans are the easiest to use in Black Bean Corn Salsa because they are already cooked! Just drain and rinse them before adding them in.
- Avocado: Creamy, sweet, and soft, avocado has an amazing texture and makes this healthy salsa feel a little more rich. If you are making this dish ahead of time add in the avocado right before serving!
- Cilantro: Fresh herbs like cilantro are key in so many raw recipes because they pack a powerful aroma. It’s so refreshing!
- Red Onion: I added just a quarter cup so that the onion flavor didn’t overpower the rest of the ingredients.
- Red Bell Pepper: A little more sweetness and crunch, red bell pepper is one of my favorite foods to eat raw.
- Corn: I use frozen corn when it’s offseason but fresh corn is amazing in this! Just make sure to thaw and drain the corn if you’re using frozen.
- Jalapeno: Just 1/2 a teaspoon for a subtle hint of heat. Feel free to add more if you’d prefer or leave out if your not a fan of heat.
- Lime Juice: The perfect balance, lime juice brings in a kick of zingy tartness. It’s definitely a must. You could add lemon instead if you don’t have lime on hand.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is SO good for you! I try to add it where I can, and in this recipe, the oil and lime juice create a nice light vinaigrette.
How to make Black Bean and Corn Salsa
To make this Black Bean Salsa simply add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl except for the avocado. Toss to combine.
Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or preferably overnight. When ready to serve add in cubed avocado and toss gently making sure not to mash the avocado. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Here are some other ingredients that you can swap in:
- Black-eyed peas
- Cotija cheese
- Green onions
What to serve with Avocado Black Bean Corn Salsa
I love serving this salsa as an appetizer or snack with my homemade tortilla chips. It also goes great as a topping for tacos, burritos, or salads. My favorite way to serve this is with either grilled chicken or salmon! Enjoy!
Store Black Bean Corn Salsa in an airtight container in the fridge without the avocado for up to 5 days. Store the avocado in a separate container with its seed and a squeeze of lemon juice or lime juice over the green flesh for 1-2 days.
Tips for Success
- Adjust the heat to taste: Add a little more jalapeño if you enjoy that kick of spice! You can also leave it out to make it more kid friendly!
- Don’t add the avocado until you’re ready to serve. Otherwise, it will turn brown quickly, get a little mushy, and will look unappetizing. Fresh avocado is so much better!
- Make a double batch to have on hand all week for an easy side dish or snack. It’s healthy and kids love it too!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Black Bean Salsa? Black Bean Salsa is pico de gallo (tomato, red onion, jalapeño, lime, and cilantro) with black beans and corn. I added in an avocado and red bell pepper as well for some extra flavor, texture, and nutrition.
- How long will Black Bean Salsa last in the fridge? This will keep for up to 5 days, just leave out the avocado until you’re ready to serve! It tastes even better after a day or two.
- How many calories are in black bean corn salsa? Only 169 calories per serving. Go ahead, eat the whole bowl!
Here are other Mexican Inspired Recipes to try!
- Spicy Chipotle Guacamole
- Easy 7 Layer Dip
- Super Easy Salsa Verde
- Pico de Gallo
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Guacamole
- Creamy Confetti Corn
Need more quick & easy recipes in your life? Subscribe to my weekly newsletter or follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for all the daily updates.
If you try this recipe, I’d love to know! Leave a star rating below, and don’t forget to take pictures and tag me on Facebook and Instagram!
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole avocado, medium dice
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl except for the avocado. Toss to combine.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.When ready to serve add in avocado and toss gently making sure not to mash avocado. Serve immediately.